VB on Win10 host demands reinstall when launching Ubuntu VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
DonBEEST

VB on Win10 host demands reinstall when launching Ubuntu VM

Post by DonBEEST »

VM launch showing Failure message
VM launch showing Failure message
VB_reinstall.png (62.31 KiB) Viewed 1220 times
I am working on a Win10 laptop using 6.1.26. This error has occurred both before and after adding Guest Additions.

When launching a Ubuntu 18.04 VM (as created from the Canonical installation DVD), I get the (attached) error.

Error In supR3HardenedWinReSpawn
(rc=-5640)
Please try reinstalling VirtualBox.

... and then the specific error message (as seen in the attached image).
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VB on Win10 host demands reinstall when launching Ubuntu VM

Post by scottgus1 »

The host PC has a hardening problem. Web-searching "VERR_SUP_VP_THREAD_NOT_ALONE site:forums.virtualbox.org" reveals this probably has to do with overactive 3rd-party Antivirus.

See Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues. As a test, completely uninstalling (not just disabling) 3rd-party AV and using native Windows Defender may possibly kick things loose so Virtualbox can run. And reinstalling may allow coexistence. Or an exception to all things Virtualbox may allow coexistence too.

If you are in a corporate environment where AV is controlled by the IT overlords, convince your boss that Virtualbox will help your work, then the boss can make IT get Virtualbox working.
DonBEEST

Re: VB on Win10 host demands reinstall when launching Ubuntu VM

Post by DonBEEST »

Thanks very much, Scott. This is very much a corptop, and I can't modify much of the low-level stuff on it.

That said, you've pointed me in a direction where I have gonzo evidence that they've gone too far and I can happily file trouble tickets all day long. ;-)

It's an i7, so whatever is there above and beyond Defender hasn't really made itself evident but it is painful to waste time reinstalling VB. I seriously doubt I can get them to carve out an exception but I will start looking at the process maps.