Recover Data after Save State Execution Freeze

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
edteach

Recover Data after Save State Execution Freeze

Post by edteach »

System Information:
Virtual Box 6.1.22
Host OS: Windows 10 Mem: 64 GB
Guest OS: Ubuntu 64bit Mem: 4096MB
Log: I could not attach log that was in use during the save freeze because it was locked by a process. But I have attached the log for when it hangs on loading during the 'Aborted' mode discussed below.

Scenario:
While saving the state of my VM, it was hanging for about an hour. I tried to access the log, but was unable to due it stating it was locked by another process. I copied the files over (aside from the log) prior to killing the process.

Things I tried:
Copy files into location that were saved off before the process was killed:
The VM shows 'Aborted' in the GUI beneath the name, but when I start it, it hangs on failed to send logs.
StateFile Parameter
Before killing the process, I found an article that had said if I copied the files before killing the process to a new location, updated the vbox file to include a stateFile parameter including the sav file I had copied, I could recover the data.
This didn't work...

I am able to get back into the VM if I reset to an older snapshot, but it is an older state of the VM. What I don't understand is prior to the process aborting, the snapshots had two files in the folder, a VDI and a SAV. The VDI's datetime for modification should include my changes that aren't there if I use the restore checkbox when exiting the VM. But that VDI GUID is the GUID of the hard disk in the vbox file, not the current snapshot guid.

Is there anyway I can recover that data from the copied files prior to the save state failure? Ideally, I would have created a new snapshot right before saving state, but here we are...

I couldn't find anything on the forums during a search, so I hope I didn't miss it.
Attachments
VBox.log
(113.95 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
ErnieB

Re: Recover Data after Save State Execution Freeze

Post by ErnieB »

Sorry for leeching on your post but I some how got similar issue and I'm following in hope someone can give a solution to your problem.