[Problem] Unable to Connect to Guest Servers from Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Bloom

[Problem] Unable to Connect to Guest Servers from Host

Post by Bloom »

Hi all! This is my first post, but I hope to provide as much as possible relating to my issue.

Prior to an update I got from Windows, I could easily connect to my server guests via bridged adapter (For context: I have two Ubuntu 20.04 LTS server VMs I like to use to host game servers. Only major difference is that one of them has slightly more memory than the other, and is dedicated to a different game.)) Since I updated my PC at least two weeks ago, I cannot use the bridged adapter option anymore, as using exclusively NAT makes it impossible to connect of course. I've attempted to use NatNetwork too, but when attempting to do this with a second adapter for the host only, either only I can connect to the server or someone from outside the network can, with no in-between (attempts for the VMs to recognize both have failed). After some troubleshooting, I've come to realize Virtualbox is likely where the problem is occurring, as hosting a server natively on the host can be done without a problem, and no fixes that could be applied to the host have really worked. The router is also able to forward the needed ports without too much issue, either.

I've attempted uninstalling as well as upgrading to the developer builds of Virtualbox, and just to make sure, I tried to test if a completely new server would be able to use bridged adapter(It cannot.)

Here is my system information for anyone wondering:

- Windows 10, build 19043 on current build 19043.1237.

- Adapter Intel(R) Dual-Band Wireless-AC 8260 is being used.

- Both Linux VMs are Ubuntu 20.04, one with 2048 MB and another with 3584 MB and 2 cores. They both are updated to their latest packages and should have the latest versions of Guestbox Additions installed.

Please let me know if more information is required, thank you in advance.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: [Problem] Unable to Connect to Guest Servers from Host

Post by scottgus1 »

Bloom wrote:I cannot use the bridged adapter option anymore
If this is because you were Bridging to Wi-Fi and can't anymore, try setting a static IP address on the VM's network adapter in the LAN's IP range.

For wired or Wi-Fi, also check if the Virtualbox Bridged binding is still checked on the host network card's bindings.

Otherwise, if using NAT or NAT Network remains necessary, ports need to be opened to allow outside traffic into the VM. See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures
Bloom

Post by Bloom »

Hey, as an update. I noticed the Virtualbox Bridged binding doesn't exist on the adapter, though reinstalling is not letting it return, for some reason. My host machine is already a static IP due to other factors. I appreciate the tip, though the binding still has yet to appear, which is rather odd. Another update, I forgot previously that the adapter has been knocked down from the table before, and mainly bringing up in case that can play a factor.

I have the ports that need to be opened as so on the NatNetwork for both hosts, though this has not fixed the issue. I'm assuming that the missing property is what is causing problems, but because reinstalling (even if I explicitly select to install the entire feature locally) seems to not work, I'm unsure what else I can do currently.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I did some web-searching, haven't found a solution for getting the Bridged binding to appear. When this happens to the Virtualbox Host-Only adapter, which it does rarely, disabling and re-enabling the adapter can bring it back.

Please try disabling and re-enabling your network adapter, see if the binding appears. Maybe, in the host Device Manager, an uninstall of the adapter then "scan for hardware changes" might knock things loose.
Bloom

Post by Bloom »

I apologize for the major delay in my response, life events made it difficult to come back to this for awhile.

Unfortunately, none of these other solutions have properly fixed the issue, unfortunate to say. I am considering going to my network adapter's website to see if there is anything I can do there. I deeply appreciate the help and apologize for both the late response the the fruitlessness of the end results.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

No worries on the response time! Life does go pear-shaped sometimes. I hope you and yours are doing OK now.
Bloom wrote:the Virtualbox Bridged binding doesn't exist on the adapter,
Just to doublecheck that you were looking here:

Also, I did notice this earlier, though it won't help until the binding shows up:
Bloom wrote: My host machine is already a static IP
scottgus1 wrote:try setting a static IP address on the VM's network adapter
The static IP Bridged/Wi-Fi workaround was for the VM's OS not the host. And the host can be static IP anytime. I have run several Virtualbox hosts with static-IP NICs.

Check to see if any AV is being overzealous when installing Virtualbox. Actually, disabling real-time AV scanning or even uninstalling AV altogether to get Virtualbox with Bridged option enabled to install correctly would be a possible idea to try. Also installing Virtualbox by Run As Administrator.

Is your computer controlled by corporate IT overlords? Maybe they have locked something down.

NAT & NAT Network do not require the Bridged binding, so if the proper ports can be opened, comms (except for host-OS shared folders) should work if they are undertaken properly. If you want to try investigating NAT comms, please start a new topic with a listing if the communications you want and what VMs you're using.