Unable to install VBoxDrv.inf after failing to open session in VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
SirChoob

Unable to install VBoxDrv.inf after failing to open session in VM

Post by SirChoob »

Hello! I am very new to this and have fairly limited knowledge regarding any of this software. After getting Xubuntu mounted in VirtualBox, I pressed start and I receive the error message:

NtCreateFile(\Device\VBoxDrvStub) failed: 0xc0000034
STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND (0 retries) (rc=_101)

Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.

where: supR3HardenedWinReSpawn what: 3
VERR_OPEN_FAILED (-101) - File/Device open failed. Driver is
probably stuck stopping/starting. Try 'sc.exe query vboxdrv' to
get more information about its state. Rebooting may actually
help.

After looking through several threads, I figured that finding VBoxDrv.inf and right click > installing may potentially solve the problem. When I tried to do this I received the second error message:

The system cannot find message text for message number
0xea6d in the message file for SETUPAPI.dll.

Any ideas on how to solve this? I would greatly appreciate any advice you have, thank you!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Unable to install VBoxDrv.inf after failing to open session in VM

Post by scottgus1 »

The Virtualbox install really went south. Please uninstall Virtualbox & reboot. Then disable real-time scanning in all security software your host has running. Then reinstall Virtualbox by right-clicking the Virtualbox installer and choose Run As Administrator. The VM will remain ready to use.
SirChoob

Post by SirChoob »

scottgus1 wrote:The Virtualbox install really went south. Please uninstall Virtualbox & reboot. Then disable real-time scanning in all security software your host has running. Then reinstall Virtualbox by right-clicking the Virtualbox installer and choose Run As Administrator. The VM will remain ready to use.
Thanks for the suggestion! I went ahead and followed your directions and I am still having the same issue. I even removed the security software (including the trial versions that come with the new pc) for good measure but still got both those error messages when attempting to run the VM and then attempting to install the VBoxDrv.inf
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Several folks have successfully got around this with this procedure:
viewtopic.php?t=66442#p314829

It starts with:
SirChoob wrote:finding VBoxDrv.inf and right click > installing
but continues:
kpenrose wrote:went back to my console and typed 'sc start vboxdrv'
the console being the Windows Command Prompt window.

Another possibility is this viewtopic.php?t=95246#p460864
klimb77 wrote:It is enough to perform a "Repair VirtualBox installation" from the Control Panel
SirChoob

Post by SirChoob »

Tried the command prompt but it returned that the service wasn't installed. Googled it but couldn't figure out how to install the service.

When I tried the Control Panel repair it seemed like it was doing something, then when I restarted my computer I got the blue screen of death and the VirtualBox program seemed to be corrupted. I uninstalled and reinstalled via the directions from the earlier reply to get the same error messages, and when I tried the repair again it says that "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable." When I click 'Browse' to change the file path, the Control Panel crashes.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me out! Sorry if this is getting too involved, I just have absolutely no idea what is going wrong.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

This now sounds like your host's MSI installation system is bunged, due to the host BSOD.
Repair MSI (Windows Installer) 2.8.8.
Windows Repair 4.5.1 (includes the above)