Guest locks up and must be reset

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
HF

Guest locks up and must be reset

Post by HF »

I am running Windows 10 as my host and a guest Windows 10 on it. Recently, the guest will lock up and I have to force the guest to shutdown. I've attached logs of this.

I've been using this guest for a couple of years without problems. I recently move to the 6.1.26 release but that was a couple of weeks ago and this problem only started last week.

Thank you
Attachments
Logs.zip
(67.66 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
HF

Re: Guest locks up and must be reset

Post by HF »

It looks like the problem is the host's "Virtual Machine Platform" setting. I had enabled it last week to run the Linux subsystem and left Hyper-V settings off.

Everything worked for a while, but that was when I first noticed the guest hanging. I just now turned the Virtual Machine Platform back off and now my Windows guest is running fine. Oddly, I tried a Ubuntu guest with the Virtual Machine Platform enabled and didn't have this problem but I also didn't run it for long.

Could VirtualBox warn users when the Windows Features are set such that VirtualBox can't run?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Guest locks up and must be reset

Post by scottgus1 »

Hyper-V is enabled. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)
HF wrote:Could VirtualBox warn users when the Windows Features are set such that VirtualBox can't run?
The above tutorial covers this as well.