Missing NAT adapter

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Adrianilloo

Missing NAT adapter

Post by Adrianilloo »

Hi,

After recently importing a CentOS 7 VM .OVA from another machine (Ubuntu) to my Windows 10 PC, I've noticed the VM can't boot due to a network error. One of the configured VM interfaces was set to use NAT (not the "NAT network"), and I see no related adapter name exists. Upon checking the VirtualBox adapters on the Windows Network Adapters panel, only the Host-Only network one exists (I assume a dedicated adapter should exist for the NAT interfaces to work). Reinstalling few times didn't help.

Is there something wrong on my end or VBox doesn't support NAT adapters on Windows 10 currently?

Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Missing NAT adapter

Post by mpack »

There is no such thing as a NAT adapter. NAT means (among other things) "use the host".

Only "Host-only" mode requires a virtual adapter on the host.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Mpack beat me, but I'll toss in.
Adrianilloo wrote:set to use NAT (not the "NAT network"), and I see no related adapter name exists. ... (I assume a dedicated adapter should exist for the NAT interfaces to work).
NAT and NAT Network don't connect to a specific host adapter *. They connect by default to the (first?) active physical host adapter in the stack.

With NAT, the Name dropdown is greyed out, as the host adapter used is automatically picked.

With NAT Network, the Name dropdown shows the available NAT Networks defined in File menu, Preferences, Network. The host adapter used is also automatically picked.

( * There is a command to force NAT to tie to a specific adapter by IP address, but that's not common or default.)
Adrianilloo wrote:the VM can't boot due to a network error.
Please post the exact text of the error. Use the error box's Copy button, if available, to get the text.
Adrianilloo

Post by Adrianilloo »

First window error:
Could not start the machine CentOS 7 because the following physical network interfaces were not found:

vboxnet0 (adapter 2)

You can either change the machine's network settings or stop the machine.
Second window error (after closing the previous window):
The VM session was closed before any attempt to power it on.

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
SessionMachine
Interface:
ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, thanks. Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose "Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager". In the window that opens, zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Please make sure all file extensions are shown, so you will be able to see the .vbox extension easier.)
Adrianilloo

Post by Adrianilloo »

Ok, nevermind. As the first error noted, the problem was related to the another adapter (the Host-Only one). The same kind of issue had happened to me already in the past when importing VMs. The solution is to regenerate the affected adapter configuration (but the NAT one was fine).

Thanks.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Good, glad you know what to do. Have fun!