I still have VirtualBox Hardening Issues

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
yrret

I still have VirtualBox Hardening Issues

Post by yrret »

Sorry, I am new to this, and have tried many different things after seeing utubes after utubes of successful loads, only to always fail with mine.
I have been trying to load android 9 pie into a windows 10 host, but have never been successful.
Looking at the VBoxHardening.log file, I see several [lacks WinVerifyTrust] issues, but even on virtualbox files?
VirtualBox Version 6.1.26 r145957 (Qt5.6.2) was installed via Administrator, and even run using administrator.
I was using the file guest file android-x86_64-9.0-r2.iso , which most everyone else seems to have success with.
I used sfc to check certain windows files and they all test okay.
My windows 10 version is fixed at version1709 (OS Build 16299.371) which works fine, but can't be upgraded because I got tired of
Microsoft messing up my system every time they forced, an upgrade and having to spend hours getting things to work right again.
So I closed up all of their multiple back doors and have a system that still works fine.
If you can please give me some Ideas to try to help me get this to load properly, I sure would appreciate your help.
Thanks for any help.

yrret
VBoxHardening.zip
VBoxHardening.log file displaying [lacks WinVerifyTrust] issues
(25.41 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: I still have VirtualBox Hardening Issues

Post by scottgus1 »

The [lacks WinVerifyTrust]'s throughout the log are indications of problems along the way, but the Exit Code of 0 at the end of the log shows that the problems get resolved by the end of the log.

Your log ends with "ExitCode=0x0", so your host has no hardening issues that block the VM.

Running the Virtualbox installer as Admin is common on Windows hosts, and recommended by the forum. However, running Virtualbox itself and the VMs as Admin is not a good idea, since malware on the host could get dangerous permissions if they can break into Virtualbox. Running a VM as Admin is only required when using Raw Disk Access, which should not be needed for the vast majority of VMs.

Please describe the problem you are having with your VM.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
yrret

Post by yrret »

Hi scottgus1 and thanks for replying and taking the time to examine that file for me.

The VBoxHardening.log file is created exactly at that point when I get this attached screen which never changes beyond that.
Then I have to select File, then Close, and then Power off Machine, which then writes that info into those files.
Attached screen:
android 9 running - as far as I get.jpg
android 9 running - as far as I get.jpg (34.71 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
android 9 running - as far as I get.jpg

I have never been able to get beyond that last screen, even though I have followed several different utube examples
which always work.
android 9 pie-2021-09-14-11-30-04.zip
(27.52 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Note that in this file I added back in Malwarebytes which had been completely turned off in the previous log file.
Thanks for your help scottgus1
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The VM's 'hardware' doesn't show a problem. However, your VM's graphics card is the VboxSVGA card. Android only works in Virtualbox with the non-S VboxVGA card. See this Android VM recipe by Mpack viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92683&start=15#p464073. I used it, with two processors, and got working Android 8 and 9 VMs.
yrret

Post by yrret »

quote:However, your VM's graphics card is the VboxSVGA card. Android only works in Virtualbox with the non-S VboxVGA card
Thanks for that info. So I switched it and still ended up with the same outcome. Maybe I should try doing this with version 8.1.
Or maybe my Dynamic VDI isn't high enough? You had it set to 32 GB ?
I have to work on something else right now, and will check back later as soon as I can.
Thanks very much for all your help here, and if you can think of anything else for me to check, please please post it.
I will login later to check it when I can.
Again, thanks very much for all the help you've given me so far.

Yrret
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Please try with a brand-new VM, use Mpack's recipe, see what you get.