I think I've found a way to make Win10 guest's UI less sluggish (graphic bug?)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rickywong

I think I've found a way to make Win10 guest's UI less sluggish (graphic bug?)

Post by rickywong »

Version: 6.1.26
Host & guest: Windows 10 x64

My Win10 guest used to be sluggish in terms of UI performance (less than 30 fps) no matter if 3D acceleration option was turned on, and I thought it was due to my hardware specs.
Today I got Chrome installed in Win10 guest(3D acceleration option enabled). When I click to run it, I realize that the whole Win10 UI is much smoother than before(more than 40fps in my eyes). A good comparison factor is window dragging animation. It's like some hardware acceleration features gets turned on.
When I close Chrome, the boost is gone.

So, is it a glitch? I hope it get fixed because UI performance is a explicit measure of VM performance.
Last edited by rickywong on 14. Sep 2021, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: I think I've found a way to make Win10 guest's UI less sluggish (graphic bug?)

Post by mpack »

rickywong wrote: I hope it get fixed because UI performance is a explicit measure of VM performance.
Not really. To claim that something is an explicit measure with any validity you would first need to provide some explicit measurements. The term alone carries no data.

I would first want to very that the UI is actually sluggish and it isn't just a symptom of heavy CPU use elsewhere. I'd also want to check the setup of the VM, which I can't because you haven't provided a log.

Interesting finding about Chrome though. I'm struggling to imagine why running a guest app would make the VM seem to run faster. Perhaps the sluggishness is due to network activity which is suspended when a browser is launched (is it only Chrome or will any browser do?). Perhaps the google update services are the resource hogs - it wouldn't be a first time.

Just FYI: CPU time is like energy. It gets converted into heat by work, but it never just disappears. Therefore some task is using CPU, or the VM wasn't given enough CPU to begin with.