fatal error after sysprep and restart

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
whois

fatal error after sysprep and restart

Post by whois »

running virtualbox on a Windows 10 pro machine. Installed a vm with Windows 10 21H1 and then run sysprep & capture task thru mdt. The vm restarts when the step winpe starts, the vm restarts and goes on with the sysprep command. Then a few minutes later when the step sysprepping-WINPE-restart appears again, the vm restarts but the a window appears from gurumeditation that a fatal error occued with not so much information.
So i include the vbox.log, it says nothing usefull to me.

What can this be, a virtualbox problem or something to do with the host machine?

I would like to add that the VM is made with VMDK option and not VDI or something else, maybe this is an issue...
Attachments
VBox.zip
(55.93 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: fatal error after sysprep and restart

Post by scottgus1 »

The log is from a save-stated VM, not a cold boot VM, which causes some diagnostic data to be missing. VMs that were fully shut down from within the VM's OS (or powered off if necessary) produce more explanatory logs.

However, the 'harware' doesn't seem to have a problem. Sysprepping has had difficulties running in Virtualbox in the past. A web-search on "sysprep mdt site:forums.virtualbox.org" might help. One poster 'MattTheTest' suggests that the Administrator account needs to be enabled, but no feedback after this indicates success. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=98483&start=15#p487363
whois

Post by whois »

Yes thanbks i have seen that post but no luck with me after enabling administrator. It looks indeed that sysprepping thru mdt is the problem because i did a sysprep within windows and fter generalising windows boots normally into the OOBE state. The steps when sysprepping thru mdt it goes wrong after the step (apply WindowsPE (BCD), after that this starts the machine reboots and the fatal error appears..

Unfortunally the vm does not start anymore after this error and i cannot see the MDT log files...
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

It may be possible to browse into the VM's disk file using 7-zip or some other zip archive program and get the logs.
whois

Post by whois »

Also no luck with the other solution to start with litetouch.iso because i do not know how to do this. When i set litetouch as the first boot device then sysprep is not running..
whois

Post by whois »

good idea that for 7zip only i do not see a c:\minint log which mdt must write a log there.. The vbox log does not show anything usefull for me. Where else can i get support, the only thing is i do not think that it is a vurtualbox problem because sysprep is running ok when executing without the litetouch from MDT. I think it has something to do with winpe and booting the VM after sysprepping then the stage of capturing the wim must start.
whois

Post by whois »

I would like to try if Vmware player is working with this but when i try to open the vmdk created with Virtualbox into vmware player it is not booting. Any idea why the vmdk from virtualbox or not to open with vmwareplayer?

When booting this vmdk in vreplayer it says it cannot find bootable device.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

We (at least, I) won't know how to help on MDT or VMware. We'll have to wait until an MDT export comes along, and you can try on a VMware forum for the failure to boot in VMware Player.