Help required to restore files from Virtual box

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ManjuMN

Help required to restore files from Virtual box

Post by ManjuMN »

Hi All,
I had installed Ubuntu 14.03 LTS on virtual box running on Windows, everything was working fine. Suddenly from yesterday iam not able to see vertical status bar on left side where i had pinned terminal, Chrome and other apps.
Now i want to copy all files from virtual box to Windows, if i insert USB drive Windows OS recognise USB but not Virtual box, as i have lot of files to be copied iam not sure how to go further.
Could anyone of you please help me in copying files from Ubuntu in virtual box to either USB or Windows, it will be great helpful to me.

Regards,
Manjunath
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Help required to restore files from Virtual box

Post by scottgus1 »

You might be able to open the Ubuntu VM's disk file directly using 7-zip (or another zip archive program) on the Windows host:

Install 7-zip.
Right-click the VM's disk file, choose 'Open Archive' under the 7-zip commands in the popup menu.
If 7-zip can read the disk file it should allow you to browse into the folders and copy files onto the Windows OS.

I'm only recommending 7-zip because I've successfully used it on Ubuntu VM disk files to get data out to the Windows host. Other archive programs may work too.

If this does not work, make a new working Ubuntu VM, then attach the old VM's disk to the new VM as a second drive, and copy the data to the new VM.

Finally, you could get on Ubuntu's help channels and figure out how to fix the problem inside the VM's OS, then your VM would be beck up and running.
ManjuMN

Post by ManjuMN »

Thank you, will try it
ManjuMN

Post by ManjuMN »

Found an easy way, could open chrome browser, logged into a cloud based drive. Transferred files to that drive and then retrieved the same back to new laptop.
Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you found a solution.