Cannot bridge to wireless network.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
sombre1

Cannot bridge to wireless network.

Post by sombre1 »

I have install vbox 6.1 and am trying to bridge an Ubuntu 20.04 guest. It needs to connect to my Cisco AnyConnect VPN. When I set it up for NAT with various Adapter types it pulls a class A CIDR IP address, 10.0.0, but not on the subnet of the adapter. It fail to pull anything for the DNS settings and I cannot connect to any devices on the 10.254 network. Bridged with various adapter settings pulls a class A ip address and fails to connect or pull any dns settings. When I try to set up host only preferences/network is a simple and does not allow me to set any network settings.

Other people in my environment are able to connect with just a simple NAT configuration. Has anything changed recently in terms of bridging networks?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cannot bridge to wireless network.

Post by mpack »

NAT networks are entirely virtual. The address numbering seen by the VM has nothing to do with any physical network, and the 10.x address seen by the VM is not what the outside world sees, which is your host PC. In effect the VM app is just another network capable process running on the host PC. Which also means that you can't set up an independant VPN client inside the VM, you just use the host connection.

If you want the VM to behave like a stand alone PC then use bridged network mode, however bridged networking does not always work with WiFi. This is a defect of WiFi, not of VirtualBox, so there isn't much that could be done to address it. The bridging connection is effectively a network switch, and WiFi simply isn't intended for switches.
sombre1

Re: Cannot bridge to wireless network.

Post by sombre1 »

Wow. Thanks, mpack.