Automount error: no such device

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
pderocco

Automount error: no such device

Post by pderocco »

I'm running two VMs on Win10 with the latest VirtualBox and Guest Additions. One is a 32-bit Ubuntu 14.04, and the other is a 64-bit Ubuntu 16.04. I have a couple of Windows folders, each of which is supposed to be mounted as a shared folder in one of the Ubuntu VMs. They are configured exactly the same, as far as I can see, the 14.04 one works, but the 16.04 one doesn't, and yields a "No such device" error in the VBox.log.

The 14.04 share is called Zoltar_Linux, the Windows path is C:\Zoltar_Linux, and it is auto-mounted at /media/Zoltar_Linux with read/write access. The 16.04 share is called Vbase, the Windows path is C:\Vbase, and it is auto-mounted at /media/Vbase with read/write access, but fails. The reason there is no "sf_" prefix is that I've set the /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/SharedFolders/MountPrefix property to "/".

The mount point in each VM belongs to the vboxsf group, as does the user. On Windows, I've even given full control to C:\Vbase for "Everyone", in an effort to get this to work, but that didn't help.

I've attached the .vbox and .log files. I hope someone can detect a relevant difference in my two VMs.
Attachments
AutomountError.zip
(49.59 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Automount error: no such device

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm sketchy on the details, nit being a Linux guru myself. But there have been some changes recently to shared folders in Linux, and maybe a couple bugs. In the Linux Hosts and Linux Guests forums there have been a couple topics posted in the last few days about mounting Virtualbox Shared Folders and the /, take a glance through & see if anything there helps.

Alternatively, try manual mounting until the bugs are cleared up.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The main difference is the version of the VirtualBox Guest Additions (GA, 5.2.30 vs. 6.1.12), which contain the guest-side shared folders implementation. If you update the GA to 6.1.26, do both mounts work or not?
pderocco

Post by pderocco »

They both already have GA 6.1.26.

Also, manual mounting gives the same error.

It's not even clear to me what is meant by "device" in this case. It doesn't appear to be a Linux device, so I assume that VB is encountering a problem accessing the underlying Windows folder, before it even gets into the Linux domain. But I can map the same folder into the other working VM successfully.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

pderocco wrote:They both already have GA 6.1.26.
I'm not sure if I understand correctly. If you mean that they were already installed in the provided VBox.log file, you're probably wrong. If you mean that you've updated the GA afterwards, provide a new VBox.log file and the output of modinfo vboxsf.

FWIW, when I manually try to mount a VirtualBox Shared Folder and misspell either name, I get other error messages than "No such device". This message usually occurs when there is a VB/GA version mismatch and/or the vboxsf module could not be loaded.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I only checked the first of two log files, but it does show that the GAs were updated from 6.1.12 to 6.1.26. See line 1928 of the "Gandalf" log.

It would help if the log was a lot smaller than it is, i.e. start up, do the minimum possible to create evidence of the problem, shut down and grab the log.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Thanks mpack! :)

Well ok, the Gandalf log shows a guest OS boot with the GA 6.1.26 indeed, but the mount was also successful then (at 01:49:22.956485). So I still can only see the expected behavior ...
pderocco

Post by pderocco »

I never noticed that it had successfully mounted that late in the log. At this point I've forgotten the sequence of what I had done, but it had failed repeatedly before that.

Just now, I shut down the VM, then restarted VirtualBox and the VM, and it's properly mounted. I had restarted the VM a couple times before that, and it didn't help. This time, though, I rebooted Windows as well, for an update. Either that fixed it, or this is an intermittent issue that will recur. But for now, I'm no longer dead in the water. Thanks for checking this out, and if I have the problem again, I'll provide shorter logs.
arQon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 16.04 x64, W7

Post by arQon »

This seems to be the same bug I ran into: I never had your intermittent success, but I mentioned in the 6.1.26 thread that it did feel like part of the bug was caused by VB not getting its translation table sorted out "in time" after starting the guest.

I like the MountPrefix note a lot, so thanks for that. It won't fix the bug, but it's good to know about. :)