2nd instance of a clone runs much slower than first

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
veloz

2nd instance of a clone runs much slower than first

Post by veloz »

I just created an ubuntu 20.04 vbox, and then cloned it. Both are running simultaneously. The first runs fast, the second takes about 3x as long to respond to commands, etc.

I verified the system configuration (memory, etc) is the same between them. I have a fast new laptop with 32gig of RAM. Each vbox has 3gig of ram and 15gig of hd space.

I'm not seeing that my host machine is being used heavily at all (according to task mgr) what could account for this second instance being so slow in comparison to the first??

michael
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: 2nd instance of a clone runs much slower than first

Post by scottgus1 »

Please start both VMs from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VMs from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click each VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Does it matter which one is started first? As in, is it always the second clone you made that is running, slow, or can you start either one and it runs OK, then the other one runs slow?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: 2nd instance of a clone runs much slower than first

Post by mpack »

Please provide the log, that will answer questions about CPU and RAM allocation.
veloz wrote:Both are running simultaneously.
Are they connected to a network? If so then I hope you remembered to give both of them different MACs and hostnames, otherwise the effect will be havoc.