[Solved] Copy/paste issue between VMs

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mqiangsheng

[Solved] Copy/paste issue between VMs

Post by mqiangsheng »

Hello,

I'm running a Kali Linux VM and a Windows 10 machine and I'd like to copy/paste between the two, but the Windows 10 machine won't work. I've enabled bidirectional copy/paste on both. I've read some other threads indicating it may be a version issue or a Guest Additions thing (what is that?). I'm confused, since the version mentioned 6.1.4 that's a supposed fix doesn't exist on the website. I have 6.1.22.

Let me know what I'm missing here. Thanks.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Copy/paste issue between VMs

Post by scottgus1 »

mqiangsheng wrote:a Guest Additions thing (what is that?)
Guest Additions are "the" thing. They are what makes Shared Clipboard possible.

Install GAs in your Windows 10 VM via the VM window's Devices menu, "Insert Guest Additions CD Image...", then run the GAs installer in the VM's CD drive.

The GAs come bundled with Virtualbox, you won't have to download anything separate to get Shared Clipboard to work.

If after getting the GAs installed you find the Shared Clipboard still not working, then for each VM do this:

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
mqiangsheng

Re: Copy/paste issue between VMs

Post by mqiangsheng »

Doh, okay for sure works now. Weird I couldn't find your instructions here after several Google Searches. Suppose that's what manuals are for. Thanks!