Error attaching USB device

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
thany

Error attaching USB device

Post by thany »

Trying to attach a USB device to a Linux guest from a Windows 10 host, gives me a VERR_PDM_NO_USB_PORTS. I'm not sure what to make of that. I'm not sure if it matter what kind of device it is, but it's a Netgear A6210 (that's a wifi stick).

When I try, I hear the "device disconnected" chime from Windows, and then I get this error. It takes a second or two, so it's trying... something.

So where exactly does it not have enough USB ports, and how does it come to that conclusion? The guest obviously has a USB controller (set to 2.0 mode), or I wouldn't be able to attach anything.

I'm on Windows 10 21H1, VB 6.1.24. Guest is Linux Mint 20.2. GA are installed & latest version.

PS: the error it gives me allows me to select text, but copying anything doesn't work. Also defocusing VB makes the error details collapse, making it a real PITA to make a note of the exact error code. Please fix that as well at some point.
I'm probably running the latest everything. Yolo.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Error attaching USB device

Post by scottgus1 »

Web-searching "VERR_PDM_NO_USB_PORTS site:forums.virtualbox.org" shows this problem might be from trying a USB 3 device on a USB 2 VM.

Per https://www.netgear.com/support/product/A6210.aspx the device is USB 3 and
thany wrote:The guest obviously has a USB controller (set to 2.0 mode)
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Just to clarify that the physical hardware decides if something is USB2 or USB3. I.e. if you plug a USB3 device into a physical USB3 host port, then the hardware has already decided to talk USB3 before VirtualBox ever sees the device. If the guest OS can't do USB3 then it can't talk to that device. Get around this (assuming the guest OS can't be updated), by plugging the device into a USB2 port, or into a USB2 hub in a USB3 port.
thany

Post by thany »

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

If that's the solution, would it be feasable to make an easier to understand error message?

"You're trying to connect a USB 3.0 device to a USB 2.0 controller. Please set the VM USB controller to 3.0, or try a different device."

Just so that users to have to google for a cryptic error code, or open a topic like this one. Mind you, technically it might be a totally correct error though, but as a user, I would like to be told what the actual problem is, in a way that it gives me enough information to fix or remedy it - no offense.
I'm probably running the latest everything. Yolo.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Some of the errors could be more human-readable, assuming that the error cause can be pinpointed to this reason and no other. I don't know enough of the source code to be able to tell.

You could post an enhancement request on the Bugtracker if you wish.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

thany wrote: "You're trying to connect a USB 3.0 device to a USB 2.0 controller. Please set the VM USB controller to 3.0, or try a different device."
If we can't talk to the device, how would it be established that it's actually a perfectly working USB3 device?

All VirtualBox knows is what it tells you: no working USB device is there.