VirtualBox won't launch Kali Linux - Error Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Livid

VirtualBox won't launch Kali Linux - Error Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)

Post by Livid »

For the past several days I've been unable to start Kali Linux with VirtualBox no matter what I try, I've searched up suggestions on these forums and others such as installing a particular update (I tried and it didn't install), uninstalling and re-installing VirtualBox and disabling Hyper-V (I don't even have it). I'm using Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate if that matters, I have virtualisation enabled in BIOS and I am out of options. This is the complete error I get:

Code: Select all

Result Code: 
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: 
MachineWrap
Interface: 
IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
I wanted to attach the log file for this, but it says the log file is too large and I can't post URLs so I can't post my link to the PasteBin post.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox won't launch Kali Linux - Error Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)

Post by scottgus1 »

Logs can be zipped then posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab on the first day first post.

If you are running Windows 7 as the host, the last version of Virtualbox you can run is 5.2.x for certain, maybe some earlier 6.0.x's.

Check your version of Virtualbox, downgrade if necessary, then try again. If still no good, zip and post the log in Upload Attachment.
Livid

Post by Livid »

Ok, I was actually running on version 5.2.16 before and decided to switch to the latest version to see if the issue fixed itself. Not to my surprise it didn't, I did look at the forums on here and tried things like sfc /scannow for supposed corrupted DLLs however that solved nothing. This is actually a fresh install of Windows 7 (being used for a week) as well so that's highly unlikely unless there's something wrong with my installation USB itself. I've attached the VBoxHardening.log and it's got a lot of system DLL mentions, I've also tried other things such as CHKDSK and more system restore attempts. I could just dual boot Windows 10 and install it but I'd rather not for privacy reasons, I'll continue seeing if anything particular is causing this issue.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(16.74 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

6.1.22 is not supported on Windows 7 hosts.
scottgus1 wrote:downgrade..., then try again.
Also see Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues, last part of post 3, re 'web-safe' security nanny programs such as HP ProtectTools and Trusteer Rapport, and post 4.
Livid

Post by Livid »

Ok, I'll downgrade back to 5.2. I don't have any "security nanny" programs on my computer, I did suspect that Malwarebytes might be causing this so I closed it but as it turns out it wasn't. I do have the default Remote Desktop Connection program on the computer, could that possibly be the culprit? I am assuming it came when I first installed Windows 7, however when I first installed VirtualBox I could run any VM fine (this error appeared out of nowhere). I don't even use it so I'll uninstall it and see if that fixes anything.
 Edit: I can't even uninstall Remote Desktop Connection from my PC, I checked through Programs and Features and the "Turn Windows Features on or off" list. 
Livid

Post by Livid »

Update: I've downgraded to an even earlier version for now (4.2.18), despite using version 5.2.16 I still got the same error. I can run VMs in version 4.2.18 fine though, I guess this can serve as a solution for now. I don't know if any other versions will work on Windows 7, e.g. 5.1, 3.8 or 2.1.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Livid wrote:I don't have any "security nanny" programs on my computer
??? Say what? MalwareBytes counts, and you specifically have "Malwarebytes Web Protection" installed too - it's right there in the log, and it's exactly what Scott mentioned.

Disabling is usually not enough to disable AV, there are too many parts. It must be uninstalled entirely, though I'm not sure of the status of Windows Defender on Win7 hosts: I would imagine that it is no longer supported.

Is "Remote Desktop Connection" a typo for RDP? (Remote Desktop Protocol)? If so then that is not AV, no need to uninstall it.
Livid

Post by Livid »

Sorry, I thought he meant something else in regards to "security nanny" programs. The thing is I did further testing on Windows 10 and Malwarebytes with the latest version of VirtualBox and it works fine. It was also working fine for a while on this installation with Malwarebytes running, I could try to uninstall Malwarebytes but it's the only antivirus I have. I still get security updates for Windows 7's Defender, but I've never relied on Windows Defender itself on any version of Windows.

By Remote Desktop Connection I mean a specific program that seems to be implemented into Windows 7 which I cannot uninstall, I'm in general uncomfortable about having such programs on my computer anyway.

Is there anything bad that will happen if I stick to using this 4.2.18 version of VirtualBox? It seems to be running fine on Windows 7, if I ever need to use the latest one I'll just boot to Windows 10. I wouldn't exactly call it a solution, but I just don't feel comfortable uninstalling Malwarebytes even though I'm pretty experienced with avoiding viruses.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

4.2.18 is really old and has no hardening code, so it doesn't check for the issues hardening is trying to prevent. See the Diagnosing link for what hardening is doing. The last version that did not have hardening was 4.3.12. Hardening does look for things that Windows can be subject to. More modern OS's may not run on 4.3.x or 4.2.x.

Remote Desktop Connection should be OK. That's built into Windows. It is a client for connecting to other people's PCs, not for connections to yours. There is another place to enable Remote Desktop connections to your PC. Web-search how to enable or disable it, then go check it. If it is disabled your PC cannot be remoted into through Remote Desktop.

McAfee recently pushed an update that interfered with Window. Maybe Mallwarebytes did too. A temporary complete uninstall of Malwarebytes and an upgrade of Virtualbox to the latest 5.2.44 could show if Malwarebytes was interfering.