Oracle DB as VM - Configuration of the virtual network to host-only adapter

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
kishmish

Oracle DB as VM - Configuration of the virtual network to host-only adapter

Post by kishmish »

Hi! My question is about Oracle DB Developer VM. In order to use SQL developer, the lectors recommended to do it via Oracle XE in a virtual box. First, I downloaded and installed Virtual Box. Then I downloaded and imported Oracle DB as VM. The next step should be configuration of the virtual network, but this is where I got stuck. So for this I selected Oracle DB Developer VM and clicked Settings, then selected Network, after that Adapter2 and changed the settings there: enabled networkadapter and selected host-only adapter. But my problem is that I cannot click on OK and proceed. My OK button is on gray (see attachment) and cannot bring changes to the network. Could you please help me further with this issue?
Attachments
configIssue.png
configIssue.png (34.92 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Oracle DB as VM - Configuration of the virtual network to host-only adapter

Post by scottgus1 »

Enabling a second adapter in the VM is like adding a network card to a PC. The PC needs to be off before you try this, so does the VM. (Save-state is also not good. The VM needs to be fully powered down.)
kishmish

Post by kishmish »

Thank you for such a quick reply! The VM was not yet turned on.
I am sorry I am new to this, could you please explain what you mean with "...The PC needs to be off before you try this..."? (If you mean that I have to turn off the computer before proceeding further, I have done that.)
Attachments
configIssue1.PNG
configIssue1.PNG (42.78 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Tip: Hover with your mouse over the yellow triangles ...
kishmish

Post by kishmish »

Thank you for your reply and the tip, I had seen that too, but I cannot change anything on the settings as I cannot click on OK button...
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Is the VM still running? If so, shut it down first.
kishmish

Post by kishmish »

Thank you for the suggestion, the VM was and is (still) turned off.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

kishmish wrote:I had seen that too, but I cannot change anything on the settings as I cannot click on OK button...
The "OK" button is global for all settings pages. So hover over the yellow triangles, read the popup messages, switch to the appropriate settings page, correct the problems, and only afterwards press the OK button. If you cannot solve one or both of the problems, tell us about the popup messages ...
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

This reminds me of "no VT-x available" issues. I suspect that it needs to be enabled in the host BIOS.
kishmish

Post by kishmish »

fth0 wrote:
kishmish wrote:I had seen that too, but I cannot change anything on the settings as I cannot click on OK button...
The "OK" button is global for all settings pages. So hover over the yellow triangles, read the popup messages, switch to the appropriate settings page, correct the problems, and only afterwards press the OK button. If you cannot solve one or both of the problems, tell us about the popup messages ...
Thank you for the instructions!
So these were the pop-up messages:
1) System: Acceleration page:
Hardware virtualization is enabled in the Acceleration section on System page although the host system does not support it. This must be disabled for the virtual machine to start.

2) Display: Display page:
The virtual machine is configured to use a different graphics controller than the one recommended (VMSVGA). Consider switching unless you have a good reason to use the currently selected graphics controller.

3) Display: Remote Display page:
Remote Display is currently enabled for this machine. However, this requires Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack to be installed. Install the Extension Pack from the VirtualBox download site, otherwise this VM will boot with Remote Display disabled

However, I cannot solve the first one (1) System: Acceleration page). I don't know what I am missing. I have disabled Hardware virtualization, but still I have the same pop-message... (I have altered paravirtualization interface to the other options, but still the same pop-up.)
Attachments
configissue2.PNG
configissue2.PNG (42.49 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
kishmish

Post by kishmish »

mpack wrote:This reminds me of "no VT-x available" issues. I suspect that it needs to be enabled in the host BIOS.
Thank you for the input!
Actually, I followed the instructions in the attachment, but there is nothing mentioned about enabling in the host BIOS, at least not in the instructions of step 3.
Attachments
installationSteps.PNG
installationSteps.PNG (64.38 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

It's true that I need reading glasses, but my eyesight is not so bad that I need to see text in 200pt. Please scale screenshots to a reasonable size!

In any case I have no idea what those "Installation steps" are or where they came from. The only reference authority I care about is the user manual.

Plus we were discussing what's needed to run a VM, not what's needed to install VirtualBox.

YOU CANNOT DISABLE HARDWARE VIRTUALIZATION IF YOU WANT TO RUN VMs. And btw, nobody asked you to do that. For one thing there is no option provided to disable it, so I don't know what you did that makes you think you did so! (*) The paravirtualization API setting is something else entirely - for a Linux VM that should be set to KVM.

(*) Oh I see - I didn't recognize the German label. You have nested virtualization disabled, which again is an unrelated feature (which you can leave disabled).

It's quite easy to tell if the host has VT-x/AMD-v available: just start creating a VM (it doesn't matter which - you'll delete it immediately anyway). If you can't find any 64bit template options then VT-x/AMD-v is not available, and most likely needs to be enabled in the host PC BIOS.
kishmish

Post by kishmish »

mpack wrote: ... It's quite easy to tell if the host has VT-x/AMD-v available: just start creating a VM (it doesn't matter which - you'll delete it immediately anyway). If you can't find any 64bit template options then VT-x/AMD-v is not available, and most likely needs to be enabled in the host PC BIOS.
Thank you, this really helped and I can proceed further :)
mpack wrote: YOU CANNOT DISABLE HARDWARE VIRTUALIZATION IF YOU WANT TO RUN VMs. And btw, nobody asked you to do that.
It was in the pop-up.
Last edited by kishmish on 24. Jul 2021, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, it's probably not mentioned in the instructions, because the majority of PCs built in the last 10 years have VT-x/AMD-V enabled in the BIOS.
kishmish

Post by kishmish »

Thanks to you all for the input! I really appreciate your help.