Oracle DB as VM - Configuration of the virtual network to host-only adapter

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Oracle DB as VM - Configuration of the virtual network to host-only adapter

Post by mpack »

kishmish wrote:
mpack wrote:And btw, nobody asked you to do that.
It was in the pop-up.
Ah, right. Yeah, somebody should raise a ticket to correct that obsolete popup.

In 6.0.x and earlier there was indeed an option provided to disable VT-x/AMD-v, this allowed you to run 32bit, single CPU VMs (Win7 and older) in so called "raw mode" (no hardware assistance). But most VMs people want to run today no longer fall into that category, and of those that do, about 99% have VT-x/AMD-v capable hardware - so the devs discarded the feature in 6.1.x - too little benefit to justify the resources needed to keep it.

They missed that popup. Easy to do when the text of it is held in an external language file.

In my previous post I forgot to link the following FAQ, which has instructions for resolving the problem: FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Oracle DB as VM - Configuration of the virtual network to host-only adapter

Post by mpack »

fth0 wrote:FWIW, it's probably not mentioned in the instructions, because the majority of PCs built in the last 10 years have VT-x/AMD-V enabled in the BIOS.
That, and the instructions dispense with the "Install VirtualBox" issues in the first line. Describing potential wrinkles in that first step is clearly not the goal of whatever those instructions are!