Share folder

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
joshww

Share folder

Post by joshww »

hi

i am using Windows 10, I have setup a folder to share, but can't see it in VB.. any tips?

thanks
josh
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Share folder

Post by BillG »

Where did you look? What do you see if you select Network? Do you see the VBOXSVR icon?

If you don't see it, you have not enabled Shared Folders. If it is there but empty, you have not shared any files.
Network.PNG
Network.PNG (12.78 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
SharedFolder.PNG
SharedFolder.PNG (13.6 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You don't say if it's a true network share or a Guest Additions share. If the latter, you don't mention installing the GAs.

Also, you don't mention what the guest OS is. You only say "I am using Windows 10" - and since you chose the "Windows Hosts" forum it seems likely that refers to your host.

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
joshww

Post by joshww »

does it matter the host is windows pro 10 and the VBOX IS windows enterprise

BillG wrote:Where did you look? What do you see if you select Network? Do you see the VBOXSVR icon?

If you don't see it, you have not enabled Shared Folders. If it is there but empty, you have not shared any files.
Network.PNG
SharedFolder.PNG
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

joshww wrote:does it matter the host is windows pro 10 and the VBOX IS windows enterprise
No. Please provide the log requested.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

joshww wrote:does it matter the host is windows pro 10 and the VBOX IS windows enterprise
If it didn't matter then I wouldn't have asked the question.

I've never heard of anything called "Windows Enterprise", unless it's the window in 10 forward (ST:TNG joke).

I asked for a log, and I don't see one.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

You did not give us much to work on, so we have had to guess what you are trying to do.

What OS is running on the host and what is running on the guest? Are they both Windows 10? And no, it doesn't matter if it is Home, Pro or Enterprise edition of Windows.

How exactly are you trying to share the file from the host to the guest? If you are trying to use VirtualBox Shared Folders, the first step is to install the Guest Additions. If you cannot follow the instructions in the manual (Chapter 4.3) you will find there are plenty of guides on the Internet.
Bill