How to setup a VM to use a static IP number

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
KevinStruckhoff

How to setup a VM to use a static IP number

Post by KevinStruckhoff »

I'm looking for directions on how to setup a VM to use a static IP number for VirtualBox 6.1 on Win 10. I set up my 1st CentOS 8 VM using the Bridged adapter mode and all is well until I go on the road. So how do I configure a VM to use a static IP number? I've read thru Chapter 6 Virtual Networking but networking is not/was never in my wheelhouse. I found a couple of refernces on the web to make this happen, but they're somewhat dated and didn't work. Thanks.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How to setup a VM to use a static IP number

Post by scottgus1 »

Static IP addresses are always set in the OS, physical or virtual. Virtualbox will not control a Bridged VM's IP address.

See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures

Web-search how to set the static IP address inside CentOS. for the adapter Virtualbox provides the OS. Be aware that a static IP matching one LAN may later have to be changed or set back to DHCP on another LAN or Virtualbox network type.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: How to setup a VM to use a static IP number

Post by BillG »

You set a static IP in a vm in exactly the same way as you do in a physical PC. I wouldn't bother trying, because it will not solve your problem.

When you use bridged mode, the vm gets its network config (including the IP address) from the DHCP server on the LAN. When you are "on the road", you are no longer connected to that LAN, so that will fail (unless you are connected to a LAN with a DHCP server). If you are not on your LAN and the host is connecting directly to the Internet you will need to use NAT, not bridged, in the vm.
Bill