VirtualBox security configurations

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tonyitde

VirtualBox security configurations

Post by tonyitde »

Dear Virtualbox comunity,

I have a question related to security where maybe you can provide me some tips. Users normally install in their corporate notebooks virtual machines and connect the systems in bridge mode to the corporate network. The install corporate software/images to work with the virtual environment. I want to know your tips related to security, where for example a user can easily copy/export this "corporate virtual machine" running into VirtualBox installed in corporate emails to load the system in their private notebooks/workstations. Do we have any command or deployment to inactive these options? As i Understood, it is possible to use a virtual ISCSI disk then almost the physical drive can be hosted internally but how we can prevent this kind of action? do you have experience facing this and any tips I can implement?

I really appreciate your experience here
Regards
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: VirtualBox security configurations

Post by Martin »

There is nothing Virtualbox can do for this.
To the user the virtual machine disk is just a big file like any other file.
So you would need to use some kind of security software and/or email server configuration to prevent the user to upload or mail the file to somewhere outside.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox does not contain any methods to stop someone from copying a VM. But Virtualbox contains disk encryption to prevent starting the VM or reading the data on the disk file if it is copied and the encryption password is not known. If it is known, the VM can be copied, read, and run.

As Martin also says, you can use 3rd-party encryption software to encrypt the disk data inside the VM's OS. This 3rd-party software may provide more security measures to prevent unauthorized use of the data in the VM.
tonyitde

Post by tonyitde »

dear comunity members, thanks a lot for your feedback and support :)