Network Adapters not showing up in guest settings network options - windows 10 pro host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BrianGillette

Network Adapters not showing up in guest settings network options - windows 10 pro host

Post by BrianGillette »

I have been using Virtualbox for a few years now on my Windows 10 pro computer as host. I have linux & windows guests setup and all have been working for years. I use the vm's every day. Today i started virtualbox to login to one of my VM's and got an error about no network being configured. I cancelled out and went to the settings for the vm and opened the network settings and although the bridged network was checked (i have always used the bridged network option), the network adapter name was blank. clicking the drop down to see the list of network adapters showed a blank list. Basically VirtualBox is not recognizing my network adapter. No changes have been made to the network configuration (that I know of) but i cannot get Virtualbox to recognize that i do infact have a network card/adapter installed and to use it in the bridged network configuration.
I'm on windows 10 pro 21H1 19043. I am using virtualbox 6.1.22r144080. Selecting NAT works, but have always used the bridged network option and it has always worked fine until yesterday (7/18/2021).
I have disabled and uninstalled the network adapter in windows 10 a few times and reinstalled it and the most current drivers. No go.
Anyone else having this issue or know how to fix?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Network Adapters not showing up in guest settings network options - windows 10 pro host

Post by BillG »

If you are not being offered an adapter to select, the first thing I would do is check the properties of the NIC in the host machine. In particular, make sure that the VirtualBox filter driver is selected.
AdapterProps.PNG
AdapterProps.PNG (20.08 KiB) Viewed 17919 times
Bill
BrianGillette

Re: Network Adapters not showing up in guest settings network options - windows 10 pro host

Post by BrianGillette »

That was completely missing. but with your advice i was able to use some more things to search for a solution. basically in my case that service was missing from my network adapter, and i had to manually add it back into the network adapter.
Pasting that solution here incase others have the problem.

Go to Control Panel -> Network & Sharing Center -> Change adapter Settings
Right click on your network adapter and pick "properties"
In the "connection uses the following items" box, at the bottom, click the Install button and select "Service" from the list and click the Add button.
A list of existing services will pop up. you want to choose the "have disk "option.
Once you have chosen the Have Disk option you will navigate to C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\network and pick the "netlwf" item and add it as a service.
Close out of Virtual box if you haven't already, and re-open it. Now the adapter will be in the Network Adapter list for the Bridged Adapter field.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Well done!
Bill