Configuring Win 10 VBox 6.1 for Samba running on CentOS 8

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
KevinStruckhoff

Configuring Win 10 VBox 6.1 for Samba running on CentOS 8

Post by KevinStruckhoff »

Hi,

I've just installed Vbox 6.1 on my Win 10 Pro 21H1 laptop. I've created a VM running CentOS 8 and I can access it using ping, putty and for good measure PgAdmin4 can connect just fine to my postgres db. I have 1 network adapter configured as Bridged Adapter.

However, I'm not able to get a samba share working between the windows host and the CentOS VM. I can't even see the CentOS server when running windows network explorer.

The error is:

\\192.168.210.146

The specified network name is no longer available.

So far it's never been available in network explorer so the message is somewhat meaningless.

What Win 10/Vbox configurations are needed to get sharing to work?

Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Configuring Win 10 VBox 6.1 for Samba running on CentOS 8

Post by scottgus1 »

There are no special settings in Virtualbox to get sharing to work over a Bridged network. If the VM and the host can ping each other, the Virtualbox network is working and the problem lies in configuration of the OS's. Putty and a database can be accessed as well, so the network is definitely working.

Treat this as if you had two networked physical PCs and Virtualbox was not involved. Use the host and VM OSs' help channels to find out how to get Windows and Linux to share folders with each other.