RAID MIRROR to Virtual box

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BarkleyN

RAID MIRROR to Virtual box

Post by BarkleyN »

Hi TEAM. Wondering if you can assist me.. I have made a few vhds from standard pc's running server 2012. and booted them fine into Virtualbox. - They work. I have another desktop pc running server 2012 64bit with raid -1 (from the Bios). I managed to make a VHD and when trying to boot up. It keeps saying No bootable media found. I have changed the settings to run on EFI and Storage on Scsi options.. all dont boot.. Can you assist me in booting this VHD up? Many thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: RAID MIRROR to Virtual box

Post by mpack »

BarkleyN wrote:I have another desktop pc running server 2012 64bit with raid -1 (from the Bios). ... Can you assist me in booting this VHD up?
AFAIK there is no RAID support in the VirtualBox BIOS, so you may be out of luck on that one.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

One thing that might work if a SCSI controller won't work, you might have to break the RAID and get the PC to go back to regular single-drive AHCI. Be sure to have a full restorable disk image of the RAID-enabled OS in case going to AHCI fails or you can't get it back to RAID.

Alternatively, research whether a 3rd-party backup software that can restore to different hardware, perhaps Macrium, could handle going from RAID to single disk. If so, use the backup software to restore the OS into the Virtualbox VM.
BarkleyN

Post by BarkleyN »

I thought so but had to ask to make sure... I will try all the options... If i manage to make it work.. I will let all know.. Many Thanks TEAM