using 2nd monitor(portable) through USB Type-C

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
GOAST

using 2nd monitor(portable) through USB Type-C

Post by GOAST »

Hi guys,

I've been trying to find somebody encounter the same issue but on several forums couldn't find 1 single person dealing with this:

I am not able to use my 2nd monitor in any way in VirtualBox when connected through USB type-C cable. I've been using all my life 2 screens via VGA, HDMI, DisplayPort, etc. and never had a problem.

My setup:
VirtualBox 6.1.22 with matching Extension pack/Guest additions installed.
Host machine: Windows 10
Guest: Tried with Win10 and Win7 so far. Win10 I can't make it work at all. Win7 works when I select "VBoxVGA" for Graphics Controller.

Hopefully somebody can help with some ideas of what else to try.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: using 2nd monitor(portable) through USB Type-C

Post by mpack »

If the host sees it as a second monitor then VirtualBox will too, because VirtualBox does not care how the host OS uses monitors.

Just make sure that you are not assigning ownership of any physical monitor to the VM (i.e. don't grab it as a USB device). That would be unpleasant.
GOAST

Post by GOAST »

Thanks a lot for the reply @mpack

Unfortunately it still doesn't work for Windows 10. I'm not really doing stuff differently compared to Win7 and I didn't assign ownership to it unless is doing some stuff automatically. Don't know where else to look for a solution.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

GOAST wrote: I didn't assign ownership to it unless is doing some stuff automatically.
VirtualBox is a tool, it doesn't do stuff automatically.

In the settings for your VM, try disabling the USB controller. That will soon prove whether your USB config is messing with the host.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (33.29 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
Any further discussion will require a VM log. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.