Ubuntu Login screen blank and unresponsive

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
NilDesperado

Ubuntu Login screen blank and unresponsive

Post by NilDesperado »

Hello all,

I am having an issue with my Ubuntu 20.04 machine after the new VirtualBox update. After I updated I cannot get Ubuntu to load past the spinning starting screen (Manjaro also fails to load). I tried doing what several other forums suggested, such as changing the display settings, system settings, and resetting the controller, but none of them have worked so far. It does not seem like a host hardware issue as my computer doesn't get close to it's max on any front, and I've tried dedicating more "power" to the Ubuntu machine, but that did not fix the issue.

Host machine is Windows 10. I've attached a log of starting the Ubuntu machine and then powering down (from outside of Ubuntu, since Ubuntu is unresponsive and blank). Thanks for the help!
Ubuntu_Log.zip
(64.11 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Ubuntu Login screen blank and unresponsive

Post by scottgus1 »

I can't see anything wrong in the log, the Virtualbox 'hardware' seems to be running properly.

If you can downgrade back and the VMs start running again, and post a log for that run, maybe there will be something we can compare.

Also, consider it may be a coincidence, and the VM's OS may have happened to develop a problem about the same time as the Virtualbox upgrade was done.
NilDesperado

Post by NilDesperado »

I downgraded back and the OS's still do not work. It is possible that something happened to the OS I suppose, but it seems unlikely considering it worked directly before the update to VirtualBox and no updates or anything were done. It is also an issue on Ubuntu and Manjaro, and I haven't run Manjaro in a couple months. My guess is something weird happened to the Guest OS settings when the update took place, but I haven't found any settings to change. Should my controller be changed to the VBoxGuestAdditions?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

NilDesperado wrote:Should my controller be changed to the VBoxGuestAdditions?
I don't think that will help, unfortunately, that is only a non-bootable CD image, which should not be required for a VM to boot. In fact, it is a good idea to unmount the GAs ISO after using it so it doesn't get intrinsically combined with snapshot chains.

Try making new VMs with the same OSs as the failing VMs, see what happens.
NilDesperado

Post by NilDesperado »

It looks like I can create new ones using the old partitions, but there appears to be no data or anything on the partition, as though it was deleted or corrupted (asks to reinstall the OS). Is there any way to get data off of one of the partitions?

It also showed an error that disappeared quickly, but said something like "cannot send host log message" I think.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

If you make a new VM and install the OS fresh, you can add the bad VM's drive as a second drive and read the contents from it, if you didn't encrypt it.
NilDesperado

Post by NilDesperado »

This worked great. Not really a solution to fixing the original issue, but at least most of the data was not lost. Cheers!
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Excellent! Glad you got your data back.

A tested-as-restorable backup before major changes is a good idea. Regular such tested backups are an even better idea.
NilDesperado

Post by NilDesperado »

scottgus1 wrote: A tested-as-restorable backup before major changes is a good idea. Regular such tested backups are an even better idea.
Is there a method to create a backup of a VM? Would it basically create a new VM using the old partition?

Thanks for the advice throughout here.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

NilDesperado wrote:Is there a method to create a backup of a VM?
The best way is to fully shut down the VM from within the VM's OS (not save-state the VM with Virtualbox). Then copy the entire VM folder, and any disk files residing outside the VM folder, to the backup storage. Then FC file-compare the backup and the originals (if the backup is local) or hash-compare the originals and the backup (if the backup is over the internet) to confirm that the backup worked.