Unable to install virtualbox on Windows

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
murasamea

Unable to install virtualbox on Windows

Post by murasamea »

Hey guys, I recently reinstalled Windows and after setting everything up I'm installing virtualbox. The issue is that when I open the installer I am met with this message:

This app can't run on this device. Oracle VirtualBox Installer & Oracle Corporation. This app can't run because it causes security or performance issues on Windows. . . . (rest says to look for an updated version)

SVM is enabled in bios and hyperv works fine so I'm not sure what's causing this.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Unable to install virtualbox on Windows

Post by mpack »

murasamea wrote: This app can't run on this device. Oracle VirtualBox Installer & Oracle Corporation. This app can't run because it causes security or performance issues on Windows. . . . (rest says to look for an updated version)
The message lies.

Basically you have Windows permissions wound up so high that you can't install non-MS apps, even when they have valid digital signatures as VirtualBox certainly does.

Usually the failing app falls into certain categories: in the case of VirtualBox it wants to use VT-x for hardware acceleration of VMs, which Windows also uses and doesn't want to share.

Are you sure that message is an error and not just a warning that you can step past? 'Cause if it's the former then I refer you to what I said about uptight security settings.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Which version of VirtualBox are you trying to install?
murasamea

Post by murasamea »

Martin wrote:Which version of VirtualBox are you trying to install?
6.1.22, latest from the website
murasamea

Post by murasamea »

mpack wrote:
murasamea wrote: This app can't run on this device. Oracle VirtualBox Installer & Oracle Corporation. This app can't run because it causes security or performance issues on Windows. . . . (rest says to look for an updated version)
The message lies.

Basically you have Windows permissions wound up so high that you can't install non-MS apps, even when they have valid digital signatures as VirtualBox certainly does.

Usually the failing app falls into certain categories: in the case of VirtualBox it wants to use VT-x for hardware acceleration of VMs, which Windows also uses and doesn't want to share.

Are you sure that message is an error and not just a warning that you can step past? 'Cause if it's the former then I refer you to what I said about uptight security settings.
It prevents the installer from running, I will look into security settings thanks.