Can't boot VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Aso

Can't boot VM

Post by Aso »

Hi,

I created a VM (Linux) with an image for Home Assistant (hassos_ova-5.8.vdi) and that was working perfectly. After some computer issues which caused it to crash, I started my computer, which in turn starts the VM with home assistant automatically. I then rebooted the computer while the VM was starting up (a few times).

Now when the VM starts up, it shows some text in the console for a couple of seconds and then just a black screen with an empty cursor. I don't have a snapshot of the VM I can revert to but there are a bunch of .sav files saved in the snapshot folder if that's of any help. Probably not relevant but the VM doesn't show up on my network.

I've attached the logs in a zip
Attachments
Logs.zip
(73.23 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Can't boot VM

Post by mpack »

It looks to me like your guest OS has a problem, not your VM.

No, SAV files can't help you. Those preserve (e.g.) RAM contents when you suspend a VM (something which IMO you should never do - a suspended state is not stable). You should discard any saved state that the VM admits to knowing about.

p.s. Is there a reason you are still on 6.1.16? It would be hard to take bug reports seriously from someone who hasn't tested first whether bugs are already fixed.

I'm also not happy that the VM is only assigned one core, no extension pack is installed, and the selected VM template is a generic "Linux (64bit)". Is Home Assistant for Linux not based on a specific distro?