Windows 10 Pro 21h1

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
wlc366

Windows 10 Pro 21h1

Post by wlc366 »

After Installing Windows 10 pro and updates and the addon-pack the vm is very unstable. The addon pack causes this i recommend not installing. To get windows stable you have to do a full reset or reinstall Windows 10 pro. The addon pack needs to be updated badly in order to work properly with Windows 10 pro
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Windows 10 Pro 21h1

Post by BillG »

What addon-pack? Do you mean the guest additions?

21H1 has been around since last May and most people have found it works very well. What version of VirtualBox do you have installed? What exactly do you mean by "very unstable"?
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
bblackmoor

Post by bblackmoor »

wlc366 wrote:After Installing Windows 10 pro and updates and the addon-pack the vm is very unstable. The addon pack causes this i recommend not installing. To get windows stable you have to do a full reset or reinstall Windows 10 pro. The addon pack needs to be updated badly in order to work properly with Windows 10 pro
VirtualBox had me pulling my hair out after I updated to Windows 10 21h1 (host and guest). My VMs kept freezing up. They USED to work reliably, but after updating to 21h1 the guest load + cmm load would just freeze in place (sometimes at 100%, but often at something much lower, around 40%), and the VM would stop responding. And even more often than that, the mouse integration would stop working, and I would have to toggle it off and on to get it working again. It worked great for years, but 21h1 ended that.

After struggling with it for a few weeks and trying every possible fix I could find on these forums, I switched to VMware in mid-June. I much preferred VirtualBox, when it worked, but a VM that works is better than a VM that doesn't.

I haven't tried VirtualBox 6.1.24 (or 6.1.26) yet. The bug that caused the VM to freeze might have been fixed. I will have to try it when I get the time.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Anecdotes are pretty useless, especially when no evidence is provided such as a VM log. And yes, it would be good if the report concerned the current release version.
bblackmoor

Post by bblackmoor »

mpack wrote:Anecdotes are pretty useless, especially when no evidence is provided such as a VM log. And yes, it would be good if the report concerned the current release version.
The update that will (I hope) fix the bug only came out July 20, and I only found out about it yesterday. I'm working on it. :)
bblackmoor

Post by bblackmoor »

bblackmoor wrote:I haven't tried VirtualBox 6.1.24 (or 6.1.26) yet. The bug that caused the VM to freeze might have been fixed. I will have to try it when I get the time.
I am pleased to report that VirtualBox 6.1.26 does fix the freezing and mouse de-integrating issues I was seeing after the Windows Pro 10 64-bit 21h1 update. Will the OP have any issues? I do not know. But I'm happy. :)