Ubuntu Applications menu problem

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
lwavery

Ubuntu Applications menu problem

Post by lwavery »

Hi,
I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 on Virtual Box, with Windows 10. I'm able to pull up the first screen of the Application menu, but, it flickers a little, and will not scroll to the 2nd page. Any ideas? :shock:
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Ubuntu Applications menu problem

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log and the hardening log next to it, zip them, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
lwavery

Post by lwavery »

Think that I followed directions correctly. Thanks for replying.
Received attachment error: 'The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 128 KiB.'
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The instructions included zipping the log. A single log will not exceed 128K if zipped.
lwavery

Post by lwavery »

Sorry, here's the zip.
Attachments
Ubuntu20-2021-06-22-21-24-25.zip
(66.54 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The log shows "fatal X Windows" errors. It also shows a 3D-acceleration-enabled VM with only 32MB video RAM. Max that Video Ram slider all the way up. Further, the pre-installed-by-Ubuntu Guest Additions are rather out of date. Update the prerequisites and the GAS in the VM: see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq and https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-linux. Up-to-date GAs are important if 3D acceleration is used.

Your VM is also only set to one processor. Modern OS's like 2.
lwavery

Post by lwavery »

I was able to get it working. I had GA attached as media, once I removed it, and increased video ram, the menu became accessible. THANKS.