Syntax error: Invalid parameter '\Users\Owner\VirtualBox VMs\Windows XP 32\Windows XP 32.vdi'

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
buddysWorld

Syntax error: Invalid parameter '\Users\Owner\VirtualBox VMs\Windows XP 32\Windows XP 32.vdi'

Post by buddysWorld »

I'm trying to expand my storage so I can play The Neverwinter Nights Complete Collection and I can't seem to get my command to work.
This is what it keeps spitting out:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Owner\VirtualBox VMs>VBoxManage modifymedium disc "\Users\Owner\VirtualBox VMs\Windows XP 32\Windows XP 32.vdi" --resize 25999
Oracle VM VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 6.0.14
(C) 2005-2019 Oracle Corporation
All rights reserved.

Usage:

VBoxManage modifymedium     [disk|dvd|floppy] <uuid|filename>
                            [--type normal|writethrough|immutable|shareable|
                                    readonly|multiattach]
                            [--autoreset on|off]
                            [--property <name=[value]>]
                            [--compact]
                            [--resize <megabytes>|--resizebyte <bytes>]
                            [--move <path>]
                            [--setlocation <path>]
                            [--description <description string>]

I've looked at tutorials online as well as other user submitted problems but none of them seem to apply to my current one.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Syntax error: Invalid parameter '\Users\Owner\VirtualBox VMs\Windows XP 32\Windows XP 32.vdi'

Post by mpack »

Is your user name really "Owner"?

And btw, notice that "disk" is spelled with a k when used as a VirtualBox parameter. Plus I would assume disk is the default, hence there was no need to type it anyway.

Also not sure why you're using the command line for this: doing it in Virtual Media Manager would probably suit you better.
buddysWorld

Re: Syntax error: Invalid parameter '\Users\Owner\VirtualBox VMs\Windows XP 32\Windows XP 32.vdi'

Post by buddysWorld »

I tried but it didn't actually resize it and my downloads can tell. Yes the name is owner.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

buddysWorld wrote:it didn't actually resize it and my downloads can tell.
This sounds like you expanded the disk size in Virtualbox but did not expand the partition inside the VM OS. How to resize a Virtual Drive

Also:
buddysWorld wrote:C:\Users\Owner\VirtualBox VMs>VBoxManage modifymedium disc "\Users\Owner\VirtualBox VMs\Windows XP 32\Windows XP 32.vdi" --resize 25999
Windows file paths start with a drive designator, like C:

Yours starts just with "\Users" .
buddysWorld

Post by buddysWorld »

Okay, I got the command working but It still only expands the virtual size, not the actual size. I've tried following every tutorial I could find but nothing works. They all just expand the virtual size. I don't even know why the virtual size exists. It's not like it lets me use it for downloads or storage or anything! I've just about had it with this problem. I'm prepare to make a second Windows XP VirtualBox just so I don't have to deal with this. Is there any way I could possibly resize the real size. :x I need to go to bed, I'll check back tomorrow.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

You haven't read the posts on your topic.

This site only tolerates rants until advice is given. Then it is expected that you stow the rant and try the advice. You haven't done that. Do it now.