Failed to Import Virtual Machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Lucas7001

Failed to Import Virtual Machine

Post by Lucas7001 »

I looked around and honestly this has been answered before multiple times, however I am a complete newbie and the answers that were given to other people were not explained simply enough for me to understand to please be patient with me.

Failed to import appliance C:\Users\lucas\OneDrive\Documents\Whonix-Gateway-XFCE.ova.

Machine settings file 'C:\Users\lucas\VirtualBox VMs\Whonix-Gateway-XFCE 1\Whonix-Gateway-XFCE 1.vbox' already exists.

Result Code: VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}

So I get this error sometimes when I try to import
I tried deleting the folder its talking about and retrying, that gives me this:

Failed to import appliance C:\Users\lucas\OneDrive\Documents\Whonix-Gateway-XFCE.ova.

Medium 'C:\Users\lucas\VirtualBox VMs\Whonix\Whonix-Gateway-XFCE 1\Whonix-Gateway-XFCE-disk001.vdi' cannot be closed because it is still attached to 1 virtual machines.

Result Code: VBOX_E_OBJECT_IN_USE (0x80BB000C)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1}

This error was answered elsewhere and someone says I must remove the virtual machine connected, but when I open VBox there are no virtual machines listed, I switched laptops and this is I am pretty sure a fresh install, could onedrive be screwing with it?
Another solve was to go to the Virtual Disk Manager and remove it, but I tried using Win+R and finding the VDM, its not listed on my laptop so thats a bust.
Another person recommended disconnecting the host but I dont understand that.

Also I had a little look around virtual box settings from in app and found that if I try and edit any of the properties of my disks, or even simply look at the properties that it says VBox is using, I get this error:
Failed to set the global VirtualBox extra data for key GUI/VirtualMediaManager/Details/Expanded to value {true}.

Failed to replace 'C:\Users\lucas\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml' with 'C:\Users\lucas\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml-tmp': -38 (Access denied.).

F:\tinderbox\win-6.1\src\VBox\Main\src-server\VirtualBoxImpl.cpp[5117] (long __cdecl VirtualBox::i_saveSettings(void)).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: VirtualBoxWrap
Interface: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}

Sooooooo yeh, any help would be greatly appreciated, again I am a noob so some patience is nice, im just so confused with these 3 errors when it was so simple on my last laptop
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Failed to Import Virtual Machine

Post by scottgus1 »

Good troubleshooting efforts! Virtualbox keeps its own list of VMs and Media besides the host Filesystem's list of files. Since you have no VMs in Virtualbox's list, you could reset Virtualbox:

1. Reboot the host so no Virtualbox processes are running.
2. Go to C:\Users\{you}
3. Move the .Virtualbox folder to the Desktop. (Note the period in the folder name.) Virtualbox will build a new .Virtualbox folder with an empty configuration.
4. Go to the folders named in your error messages above and delete the whole "Whonix-Gateway-XFCE 1" folder containing 'Whonix-Gateway-XFCE 1.vbox' and 'Whonix-Gateway-XFCE-disk001.vdi'.
5. Start Virtualbox. Try the import again.
Lucas7001 wrote:go to the Virtual Disk Manager and remove it ... I tried using Win+R
This may be another hypervisor's setup. In Virtualbox it's called 'Virtual Media Manager' and is found in the main Virtualbox window's File menu.
Lucas7001 wrote:Another person recommended disconnecting the host but I dont understand that.
You're in good company. Neither do I. :lol: