VirtualBox Extension Pack dissappearing randomly

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MaintMike

VirtualBox Extension Pack dissappearing randomly

Post by MaintMike »

So my current situation is as follows.

Host: Windows 10
Guest: Windows 7
Version: Varies
Extension Pack: Enterprise

I have around 30 laptops that use domain accounts for users to log in, and each laptop has a VM (shared amongst all users on each laptop) loaded with software for connecting to machines. After I finally got the enterprise version of the expansion pack, I installed the expansion pack using a local admin account. The expansion pack appeared for all users, and things were good. However, after a couple of days multiple people complained that the VM wouldn't start. Upon troubleshooting, I found that the expansion pack is gone from the preferences menu. I can reinstall it in the local admin account, it will reappear for all users, and disappear the over the next couple days. I'm hoping its something simple that I'm missing regarding the Enterprise version.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox Extension Pack dissappearing randomly

Post by scottgus1 »

The Extension Pack is a zip-type file which is unpacked into a subfolder in the installation folder of Virtualbox. It does not normally disappear.

Inspect your laptops for security software that may be mistaking the EP for malware and quarantining it. Vboxmanage commands to install and uninstall the EP do exist, see "vboxmanage extpack". See if you have a distributed script that had this command inserted.
MaintMike

Post by MaintMike »

So I reinstalled the extension pack and when it disappeared, the expansion pack folder was mostly empty and was suffixed with something like "unist". So I am assuming that something is uninstalling the extension pack. The free version of the extension pack does not do this, but the Enterprise version does. There should be no scripts messing with virtualbox since these computers are the first in my company to use them, and I am the only one who has configured them.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Did you get a support contract with the Enterprise Extension Pack? If so, you should be able to get direct-from-Oracle support. These are the user forums, with volunteer answerers.

FWIW I believe that you're the first person I have ever heard of who found a way to pay for the Extension Pack. :shock: That license is steep for the average user oracle store

Meanwhile, assuming the Enterprise Extension Pack is just the Extension Pack everyone normally uses, just licensed for commercial use, there's nothing in Virtualbox that auto-deletes it. Something is going wrong on your PCs. Did any AV leave a record of quarantined files? Some form of logging needs to be put in place: Sysinternals Process Monitor, a vbscript checking for absence of the EP files, etc. This doesn't happen in normal Virtualbox.
MaintMike

Post by MaintMike »

I'm going to try and setup the support thing through them. I can uninstall the pack and the same folder appears in the extension pack folder as when it disappears. At least I know its a deliberate action and not a bug. This shall be a fun three way conversation between customer service, company IT, and I. I'll update what I find out just in case someone else like me has to go the enterprise route.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

sounds good! Please let us know what gets discovered.