virtual box error - setup

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
LeeSeager

virtual box error - setup

Post by LeeSeager »

hi has anyone come across this error, I'm trying to install Home Assistant opening a Vdmk or vdi file. tried re-downloading files same result.
google doesn't seem to find anything helpful,.

Could not get the storage format of the medium 'C:\Users\admin\Desktop\ha\hassos_ova-5.13.vmdk' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).

Result Code:
VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
Component:
MediumWrap
Interface:
IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1}
Callee:
IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
Callee RC:
VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: virtual box error - setup

Post by mpack »

Yep, I've seen that plenty of times. It happens when an error was made in transporting the VMDK.

VMDK comes in two main variants that you need to know about, and the likely cause of the error depends on the variant :-
  1. The first VMDK variants consists of two files, huge image file, plus a teeny text file that describes the contents of the huge file. Both files have a .vmdk extension. A common error is to copy only the teeny text and leave the huge file behind. I don't think you have this problem.
  2. The second VMDK variant packs both the above into a single binary file. The most common error with this kind of file is to transport or download it to a FAT formatted USB memory stick, which causes the file to be truncated at 4096MB, the maximum file size for FAT.
Obviously people manage to find an infinity of variations on these typical errors.

Btw, I notice that the VMDK name includes the part "ova". VMs and VMDKs which are part of an OVA appliance are compressed and not intended to be used directly, you have to import the appliance to uncompress them.
LeeSeager

Post by LeeSeager »

just to run through some things this i have tried and getting the point of giving up lol

downloaded files from here
home-assistant.io installation windows

they come in a zx format i have tried renaming them and using direct also unpacking them with winzip, if i use a SSD drive that should be ok right?
also re-download both the DVI and VMDK files to try,

I just cant get it to install not sure where to go from here

hardware running:
Intel I5 3472 (3.2)
Ram 4 (3.8 useable)
64 bit
Windows 10
all latest updates
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I've never heard of a "zx format".

The mechanical type of the drive you transport the VM on is not relevant, only the filesystem matters. If it's NTFS it's good, FAT would be bad.

Btw, the original zip has similar limitations as FAT, i.e. no files larger than 4GB. There are extensions that support larger files, but not everyone supports those extensions.

Btw (2) zipping an OVA is kinda pointless - it was already compressed.

I still see no screenshots nor precise error messages. I'll need both before I say anything else.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

See this guide to install Home Assistant in a VirtualBox vm. Use the .vdi file as recommended in the guide, not .vmdk.

https://dummylabs.com/post/2020-01-20-h ... %20More%20
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

LeeSeager wrote:i have tried renaming them
Incidentally, renaming files so that the extension no longer matches the content would be another good way to get "cannot get the storage format" errors.