Bridge Adapter: Automatic change on change of Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
LesD

Bridge Adapter: Automatic change on change of Host

Post by LesD »

I have a series of VMs running on a server.

I automatically shut down each one at night, copy it to a backup server and restart it, so that I have a backup machine to run them on in the event of a failure of the main server.

The two servers have different Bridged Adapters so if I just start the VM on the backup it fails to run. If I open the VM in the VM Manager (GUI) it automatically changes to the local adapter and then I can run the VM.

So in the event of my needing to run the backup VMs I can't do that automatically as each one needs to be 'touched' via the GUI.

Is there some way to do this automatically so that I can just run a script and start all the VMS on the backup server (headless) in the event that the 1st server fails?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Bridge Adapter: Automatic change on change of Host

Post by mpack »

You could certainly run a script (see VBoxManage in the user manual) to check bridge parameters, but VirtualBox has no feature to do this automatically on a change of hosts.

I have requested something similar in the past, or at least have something like what Windows does when it finds that the previous WiFi network no longer exists: i.e. a list of preferred networks in priority order that it runs down if the current network connection is broken. But, apparantly this isn't something the paying customers need.
LesD

Post by LesD »

Thank you.

And having checked, is it possible to change it and start the VM - all in one script?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Like I said - see the user manual.