Windows XP Guest on Windows 10 Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows XP Guest on Windows 10 Host

Post by mpack »

The VM folder is the one containing the ".vbox" file and the main VDI. That is the only folder that you need to move, of course that includes all subfolders and files. I really have no idea what "two folders" you are talking about.

Howto: Move a VM.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I also am having trouble understanding, DonVetOne. You ask,
DonVetOne wrote:Please help me with the above....
And the 'above' is a quote of your earlier question about which VM folder to copy. That was answered.

In the same paragraph with "Please help me with the above.... " you ask a different question,
DonVetOne wrote:when a new windows XP machine is created (added) it seems it will create a windows XP folder - I would like to keep ALL files in this folder but somehow this is not working our very neatly... thanks.
I'm not sure how the second question clarifies the first, they seem to be two different subjects.

When Virtualbox makes a new VM it entitles the VM folder by the new VM's name. If you make a virtual disk while making the new VM and only adjust the size, Virtualbox will put the virtual disk inside the VM folder. Other methods of making a virtual disk may start the browsing for the disk location in another folder. If this is what "somehow this is not working our very neatly" means, please let us know if the information helps.

If this does not answer your question, you may need to ask more detailed questions.
DonVetOne

Post by DonVetOne »

Thanks for the replies.... it is really about files being updated in two folders as above directory listing indicates... and I believe there should NOT be two folder being updated when I run the machine but only one... since TWO folders are updated (checking the time stamp on the files) I am unsure as to which folder (and files {they are not the same in each older}) should be copied.

I will in the meantime spend some time trying to clarify the issue.

If I appear confused... it is because I am :-)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

DonVetOne wrote: it is really about files being updated in two folders as above directory listing indicates... and I believe there should NOT be two folder being updated when I run the machine but only one
I did not gather this from the above posts, regrettably.

Analyzing the time stamps of the folders and files, I see that the "Windows XP" .vbox file was "touched" or altered on 29 May 2021 15:40, as well as "Windows XP Spare.vdi" from the other VM folder. There are ways this could have happened, the biggest one being, if "Windows XP Spare.vdi" is the virtual disk that the "Windows XP" VM is booting from. You'll notice (and I just noticed) that the "Windows XP" folder contains no virtual disk. Yet it has to boot from something. i suspect it is booting from the "Spare" virtual drive file.

Please zip and post "C:\Users\donle\VirtualBox VMs\Windows XP\Windows XP.vbox" and "D:\VirtualBox VMs\Windows XP Spare\Windows XP Spare.vbox" using the forum's Upload Attachment tab, so we can check this.
DonVetOne

Post by DonVetOne »

Here you go....
Attachments
Windows XP C.zip
(4.31 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Windows XP D.zip
(13.31 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Right, the C drive Windows XP.vbox is using the D drive XP's virtual disk:
C-Drive Windows XP.vbox wrote:<Machine uuid="{dc110f8c-080e-49ca-80d8-dd4eb1e9c45a}" name="Windows XP" OSType="WindowsXP" snapshotFolder="Snapshots" lastStateChange="2021-06-07T13:41:57Z">
<MediaRegistry>
<HardDisks>
<HardDisk uuid="{a7a09782-efe9-4c88-83c5-91fbc292b6cb}" location="D:/VirtualBox VMs/Windows XP Spare/Windows XP Spare.vdi" format="VDI" type="Normal"/>
</HardDisks>
The D drive XP is not using the "Windows XP Spare.vdi":
D-Drive Windows XP.vbox wrote:<Machine uuid="{4294127e-d1d7-4c73-ae76-cb7942770bcc}" name="Windows XP" OSType="WindowsXP" stateFile="Snapshots/2020-08-24T15-54-25-617559000Z.sav" currentSnapshot="{896c11cc-d664-4e46-9e59-ea39b0d271aa}" snapshotFolder="Snapshots" lastStateChange="2020-08-24T15:54:34Z">
<MediaRegistry>
<HardDisks>
<HardDisk uuid="{c5bfa593-5fed-48d9-a04f-ed32a060df8d}" location="exportxp-disk1.vmdk" format="VMDK" type="Normal">
<HardDisk uuid="{a103e9ae-92f3-4ebb-8534-414c71464bee}" location="Snapshots/{a103e9ae-92f3-4ebb-8534-414c71464bee}.vmdk" format="VMDK">
<HardDisk uuid="{65f83c40-5aba-4e3d-a7f7-760b8f8eb0df}" location="Snapshots/{65f83c40-5aba-4e3d-a7f7-760b8f8eb0df}.vmdk" format="VMDK"/>
</HardDisk>
</HardDisk>
</HardDisks>
The D drive .vbox file is pointing to a drive file and Snapshots folder that are not present in the D drive VM folder where they ought to be. The D drive VM is mush.

If you open the Virtual Media Manager and use the Move command to move the "D:/VirtualBox VMs/Windows XP Spare/Windows XP Spare.vdi" disk file into the "C:\Users\donle\VirtualBox VMs\Windows XP" folder, then the "C:\Users\donle\VirtualBox VMs\Windows XP" folder would contain the whole Windows XP VM and can be moved or copied to another host. (Don't just drag-n-drop the disk file, use the Virtual Media Manager.)
DonVetOne

Post by DonVetOne »

Thanks! Done... and tidy!

Not sure how the 'mess' came about though...
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Nice! Glad you have got things going.

RE that messy D drive VM, It's a puzzle how it go that way to me too.... :shock: Could be a backup or copy process that died partway or didn't take all the files needed.