Frequent freezes on display change - Windows host Linux guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jerome_vb

Re: Frequent freezes on display change - Windows host Linux guest

Post by jerome_vb »

Hi.

I don't know where the 1360x768 comes from.

Attaching a new log from the office. The laptop is plugged to a docking station with a large screen I use in "external screen only" (no display on laptop screen). I couldn't find the screen resolution from Windows but reading the logs it should be "w=2560 h=1310".

The freeze occurred when I unplugged the laptop from the docking station.

I don't change the display mode before unplugging.

I modified my settings at home to use extended rather than clone, see how it goes. But IIUC, the home external screen resolution is the same as the laptop (1920x1080) so there should be no resize involved there in any case, clone or extended.

I just disabled the sound. Not ideal on the long run but it doesn't bother me for a test period.

Although the issue is frequent, I can't totally reproduce it by launching the VM and plugging/unplugging right away, which makes it a bit harder to investigate.

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
Buster-2021-06-01-16-11-44.zip
(22.39 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

jerome_vb wrote: I don't know where the 1360x768 comes from.
It sounds like a common laptop screen resolution.
jerome_vb

Post by jerome_vb »

1366x768 and 1360x768 both appear in the list of available resolutions.

The recommended and best resolution of the laptop is 1920x1080. It is the one that is selected when I unplug.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

jerome_vb wrote:Although the issue is frequent, I can't totally reproduce it by launching the VM and plugging/unplugging right away, which makes it a bit harder to investigate.
The key to reproduce an issue is to begin with the same starting conditions and to execute the same sequence of actions. You could try and write down any display, audio and power management related events, from a clean start of the host and the guest to a freeze. Then rinse and repeat. When the issue is eventually reproducible, then we can investigate which actions are relevant and which are not. Note that the VBox.log files only document part of your actions, so you may know aspects that we as readers are not aware of.

Another possible strategy would be to further analyze the "frozen" state ...

The Q2577W display has a 2560x1440 resolution, BTW.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Instead of laborious experiments, there is now an easier alternative. :)

Please try a new VirtualBox test build with extensive audio-related changes, and report back.

VirtualBox test build(s) for audio problems

On the VirtualBox test builds page, you'll find the VirtualBox stable branch test build 6.1.23r145004 (or newer). The audio functionality underwent extensive changes, and the VirtualBox developers are interested in getting positive as well as negative feedback regarding audio playback and recording. Please mention the host OS, the guest OS, the Host Audio Driver and the Audio Controller (from the VM configuration in Settings > Audio), and describe any misbehavior as detailed as possible. Thanks in advance.