Windows 10 vbox works when run under Intel CPU, safe mode only with AMD CPU

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
yonkiman

Windows 10 vbox works when run under Intel CPU, safe mode only with AMD CPU

Post by yonkiman »

I just upgraded my CPU & MB from an Intel i7-4790K to an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X. Before the upgrade, I virtualized my existing Windows 10 installation with VirtualBox 6.1.22, and was able to smoothly run the virtualized system on my original system.

Post-upgrade, when I try to run the system it completely boots (I don't have to log in, so I see the regular Windows desktop looking ready to go), but the system doesn't respond when I click on anything at shortly after that goes black for a few seconds and then I get:
Vbox failure.png
Vbox failure.png (38.56 KiB) Viewed 738 times
I can boot up in safe mode and it's semi-stable. I was able to run Autoruns and disable all of the unnecessary startup programs, but it's still not happy.

Is having problems going from an Intel host to an AMD host common? Any pointers on what to try next?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 vbox works when run under Intel CPU, safe mode only with AMD CPU

Post by scottgus1 »

I would imagine that switching CPU manufacturers would be a pretty extreme thing for an installed OS, requiring switching core system settings. The physical CPU is the only part of the host hardware that is directly seen by the VM OS. A repair install may be necessary.

Try downloading and installing a fresh 10 VM from Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, to see if Virtualbox is working well on the new computer.