Creating a database

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MurraySobol

Creating a database

Post by MurraySobol »

I am confused re: how to create a database.
I would like to have 2 databases: a "portal" database and an "application" database.
I am very new to VirtualBox so thanks for any assistance.

Murray
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Creating a database

Post by scottgus1 »

I assume that you are setting up a Virtualbox VM to run the database in it, and either another VM or the host PC to access the database.

Note that Virtualbox does not actually provide databases. It only provides virtual 'hardware' to run operating systems, and the operating system can run a database if you want it to.

All Virtualbox can do in your case is provide the VM environment(s) and a network between the VM and the host, or between the two VMs. See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures

If the two databases are a front-end database that the "public" can log on to, and a back-end "secure" database that the "public" is not supposed to access, I would do two VMs. WM 1, the front-end "portal", would have a Bridged network for the public side, so the host and your LAN devices and the internet can access the "portal". VM 1 would also have an Internal network to attach to VM 2, which would be the back-end "application". The host, LAN and internet cannot directly access VM2, only VM1 can.

It would then be up to you to choose operating systems and databases to run in each VM. Don't forget to check firewalls in the host and OS's you install in the VMs. If you can ping over the network provided by Virtualbox, then the network is working and other communication problems would be caused by firewalls or other things in the operating systems.