Unable to get NAT working on Windows 10 laptop

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ncowz

Unable to get NAT working on Windows 10 laptop

Post by ncowz »

Hey all,

I've been trying to set up a lab with several VM's using Virtualbox.

Previously, I've used the Bridged Adaptor on my home network, which has worked fine for internet access. However the hotel internet requires portal login over WiFi and the hosts I'm using don't have native wireless built in (CentOS 8.). As such, I'm trying to set up NAT to force the connections through my Windows 10 laptop.

I've got it to the point where I can SSH to the machines themselves, but they can't seem to connect to the internet.

Here are the details of the configuration:

Host: Windows 10
Virtualbox Version: 6.1.12 r139181 (Qt5.6.2)
Guest OS: CentOS 8

I've attached the host.log, the host.vbox, the output of ifconfig on the host, and the output of ipconfig on my Windows laptop. Any help is greatly appreciated, as I've got another week left and would love to get through this before heading out into the real world and getting bogged down with actual work. Thanks!
Attachments
ifconfig.7z
ifconfig.7z
(18.14 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Unable to get NAT working on Windows 10 laptop

Post by fth0 »

The network configuration looks fine to me. I'd check if the Windows Firewall prevents the connection.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Unable to get NAT working on Windows 10 laptop

Post by scottgus1 »

Another possibility, I have anecdotally noticed that sometimes Linux does not notice the change to the network adapter's IP address settings, or some such.

Make a new CentOS VM with the default NAT settings that Virtualbox chooses for the VM. If the new VM has internet through NAT, then the old CentOS VMs have not noticed the change to the NAT IP address, and the network adapter needs to be reset inside the CentOS operating system. (I have no idea how to do this... :shock: )