can't install windows 98

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Mattsikung

can't install windows 98

Post by Mattsikung »

so I tried to install windows 98 to play some games but every time I tried to install it I got this
EXPLORER caused an exception 6d007eh in module
also after that I get The SHELL32.Dll file is linked to missing export SHLWAPL.DLL>tFileAttributesA.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: can't install windows 98

Post by scottgus1 »

Check out Tutorial: Windows 95/98 guest OSes, then report how things work out.
Mattsikung

Problems with windows 98SE

Post by Mattsikung »

so I have some problems and they are: while playing a game the sound is lagging, the mouse is slow and lastly when I try to install something my screen becomes black and nothing happens
specs: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Quad-Core Processor 3.50 GHz 8.00 GB ram
Virtualbox version 6.1.22
have scitech display doctor installed
os windows 10
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Problems with windows 98SE

Post by mpack »

You already have a topic asking about Win98, so it would be polite to acknowledge the answer you already got there.

In fact, I think I'm going to merge your two topics.

Assuming that you did your research, you'll know that Win98 is not a supported guest. Meaning there are no accelerated graphics drivers for it, meaning that graphics performance will be poor. That poor performance will probably knock on to other things too, such as sound and maybe even the mouse cursor.

Incidentally, in case there's some confusion: the SciTec driver just allows Win98 to access the unaccelerated VESA graphics provided by the VirtualBox BIOS, otherwise Windows would be stuck with basic (S)VGA. The SciTec driver can't accelerate the graphics: it cannot for example provide accelerated OpenGL/DirectX7/DirectX8 as might be expected from a period Win98 graphics based game.

Even in a supported guest OS we usually say that VMs are never ideal for gaming. A VM can never have the performance of actual hardware.

We could comment more on optimizing the VMs performance if you provided a VM log. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.