A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
hugocarpentier

A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine

Post by hugocarpentier »

Hello everyone,

I am trying to make a vm works on my laptop, but oracle send me this error when i launch it,

I have the virtualization activated, i'm on a W10 and trying to run a Win2019 VM. It worked on an other laptop that was W7. without any issue, and it's literally the same installer / ova file that has been used for both laptops,

Thank you for your help, i'm ready to give any information that you might need.

Please find attached the logs.
Attachments
VBox.zip
This is my logs
(57.36 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine

Post by mpack »

The Win2019 template is suspected of being buggy. Use the Win2016 template instead.

And you have Hyper-v enabled.
00:00:03.784255 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:03.858625 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

On the plus side: thanks for providing a zipped log without waiting to be prompted. Your settings generally look good, obviously well researched. You only have the template problem, no extension pack installed (not a problem if you don't need features such as USB). Remember to install the Guest Additions too.
hugocarpentier

Post by hugocarpentier »

Hello,

Thanks it really helped!

I just changed the 2019 to 2016 and it works (strangely). I can't really keep hyper-v for only oracle since i'm using docker desktop, but it works now so it's fine i suppose.

Also I have an additional question now : I made this VM with 2 cores, because my W7 got only as much. Now that i'm putting it on my W10, i would like to give 4 of my 6 cores to it, but when i give more than 2, the CPU is always at 100% (On vm only, on PC it's only 60%), and the VM is really slow. Do i need to change something before adding new CPUs?

Thanks again!
Attachments
VBox.zip
My logs
(27.13 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by hugocarpentier on 12. May 2021, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

More cores will not make the VM faster, so stick with 2 cores, which is nearly always the sweet spot.

Unlike a physical PC, a VM must manage any cores you give it. Simply ignoring them is not an option. If those cores are not really being used then all you added is that management overhead - a negative effect. Most Windows installs benefit from having one core to run background OS tasks, and one core to run the foreground app.

Also, all new Windows installs eat a lot of CPU at the start, while they check for updates, index the disk etc. Just leave it to run for a few hours. The faster the host drive is, the faster this stage will be over.
hugocarpentier

Post by hugocarpentier »

Ok thanks, i didn't know adding cores could actually slow a VM, but it is still a bit slow to my tastes, do i have a solution to actually speed it up?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

During the VM run in your latest VBox.log file Hyper-V is still active.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

hugocarpentier wrote:do i have a solution to actually speed it up?
Not if you are unwilling to consider ditching Hyper-v. There is good reason why this state is indicated on the status line using a turtle.