Error Logs installing Server 2019

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Pdowning88

Error Logs installing Server 2019

Post by Pdowning88 »

I'm new to VMBox. I was using it just fine earlier today on my PC at work with Intel hardware. My home PC is AMD on Windows 10 20H2. I'm getting a crash when attempting to install Server 2019 or 2012R2 into a VM. The log is attached. Can anyone help?

Edit: Well, the logs are larger than the allowed size of 128k(seriously?)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Error Logs installing Server 2019

Post by mpack »

Pdowning88 wrote:Edit: Well, the logs are larger than the allowed size of 128k(seriously?)
And zip is totally alien to you (seriously?).

As, apparantly, is the search function. The problem with the current Win2019 template has been raised many times already: use the Win2016 template.
Pdowning88

Post by Pdowning88 »

mpack wrote:
Pdowning88 wrote:Edit: Well, the logs are larger than the allowed size of 128k(seriously?)
And zip is totally alien to you (seriously?).

As, apparantly, is the search function. The problem with the current Win2019 template has been raised many times already: use the Win2016 template.
I figured out the issue without the snarky and misspelled reply. It seems I couldn't used a Fixed Disk option. Using a Dynamic Disk seems to work just fine.

It's always a pleasure to see a snarky and attempted sarcastic response, only to have it's effectiveness diminished by spelling errors :D
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Fixed vs Dynamic disk would not have changed the VM problems you saw. It is likely that some other change occurred that you didn't notice.

2016 template for 2019 is a good step. Also, setting System Settings, Acceleration tab, Paravirtualization Interface, to 'Hyper-V'. Why the 2012 VM wasn't working would still need a log.

A Windows 10 host with the Hyper-V hypervisor active can cause such troubles too. Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log.

Search the far left tab's log for this text:

Attempting fall back to NEM

If you find it, Hyper-V is enabled and needs to be disabled. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

If you don't find that text, save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
People who live in glass houses, pot & kettle, straw & rafter, etc...
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Pdowning88 wrote:It's always a pleasure to see a snarky and attempted sarcastic response, only to have it's effectiveness diminished by spelling errors :D
Hmm. Technical accuracy is what we value around here. I mean if we really wanted to get into grammatical dick waving contest then we might consider your misuse of that apostrophe in the second "it's", plus the missing period on the end. And that's just on your last sentence. But, I would normally consider such pettiness beneath me.