Black Screen after about a month of use after? Logs included

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Radovan

Black Screen after about a month of use after? Logs included

Post by Radovan »

This is my first experience with VirtualBox and Linux. I just started learning few weeks ago.

I have a VB version 6.1.22 and Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 on Windows 10 machine. This installation has been working fine for about a month now. This morning I started to see Black Screen only at login. No errors. Prior to that (about 48h ago) I installed dropbox and started uploading bunch of files. Last night I received the warning virtual storage was almost full. At the time I simply powered Ubuntu off and on just to make sure it is working and figured I'll figure it out today. I can't read logs so after going through several solutions in regards to graphics and Black Screen I found online I finally ran out of options. For what is worth I did double virtual storage and now there is about 140gb of free space.

VBox Logs are included below, so if you need any additional information, just let me know!

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me figure out what is going on.
Attachments
Complete_Ubuntu 20.04.2.0_Training-2021-05-07-12-25-30.log.zip
(32.3 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Last edited by Radovan on 7. May 2021, 19:44, edited 2 times in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Black Screen after about a month of use after? Logs included

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the log. I don't see anything wrong with the operation of the VM environment.

Ubuntu is known to go black screen if the disk fills up, which may have happened from the Dropboxing. Web-search how to fix Ubuntu after the disk has filled up.

After that, you will have to expand the internal partition to take up the new space you added. See How to resize a Virtual Drive.
Radovan

Re: Black Screen after about a month of use after? Logs included [Solved]

Post by Radovan »

scottgus1 wrote:Thanks for the log. I don't see anything wrong with the operation of the VM environment.

Ubuntu is known to go black screen if the disk fills up, which may have happened from the Dropboxing. Web-search how to fix Ubuntu after the disk has filled up.

After that, you will have to expand the internal partition to take up the new space you added.
Thanks!

I didn't manage to find instructions of how to fix Ubuntu after virtual disk space has filled so I improvised a bit and did following in order to fix the problem. For the record I'm a novice so for people who are searching for a solution this is probably not the right way of doing things, however it did work in this case.

I logged in a recovery mode and first cleaned few things by running following commands: { sudo apt-get clean } { sudo apt-get autoclean } { sudo apt-get autoremove } than I made sure everything was updated by running update commands I also found online, and lastly I deleted sizable portion of Dropbox upload folder.

Finally I exited recovery mode and restarted computer. Problem solved.

For the record one of the first things I did (before even posting here) was increasing virtual disk size trough VB and that alone did not do a trick.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Black Screen after about a month of use after? Logs included

Post by scottgus1 »

The process you found was what I've read: log in through an alternative method (perhaps text-based?) and start deleting stuff.

In the past, when I had a VM that would suffer if the disk ran out of space (Small Business Server's MS Exchange Server could fill up a disk then crash from lack of space) I would put a file of sufficient size on it, like a few-hundred-MB installer, rename the file "Delete to make disk space" and have that ready for recovery space when necessary.

Per the linked tutorial, the internal partition that can use increased disk space is not edited by Virtualbox to make use of the increased disk space. Virtualbox is VM-OS-file-system-agnostic. Editing the partition manually is the next step.