VirtualBox trouble, but has been acting odd lately

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BMWFan

VirtualBox trouble, but has been acting odd lately

Post by BMWFan »

I've not been able to install new VMs for a long time (get errors, which I don't remember what they are).

But recently, what I suspect was a failed upgrade to VirtualBox is giving me errors when trying to start my Home Assistant VM. I've searched the Internet, but likely don't know what to search on or how to interpret the results - since I'm not finding the answers. I'm a VM novice. Only follow directions to install VMs. Or, might the trouble have been caused by CCleaner running recently? I've since uninstalled CCleaner.

When trying to start the VM, I get the following errors:

Code: Select all

NtCreateFile(\Device\VBoxDrvStub) failed: 0xc0000034 STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND (0 retries) (rc=-101)
Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.
where: supR3HardenedWinReSpawn what: 3 VERR_OPEN_FAILED (-101) - File/
Device open failed. Driver is probably stuck stopping/starting. Try 'sc.exe query vboxdrv' to get more information about its state. Rebooting may actually help.
I also get the following error:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine HomeAssistant
Details
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}

I rebooted my PC and get the same results.

I then ran sc.exe quert vboxdrv and get the following output:

[SC] EnumQueryServicesStatus:OpenService FAILED 1060:
The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

Any ideas?
BMWFan

Re: VirtualBox trouble, but has been acting odd lately

Post by BMWFan »

I rebooted again, tried to restore a previous snapshot.

I get an error:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Home Assistant.

Implementation of the USB 2.0 controller not found!

Because the USB 2.0 controller state is part of the saved VM state, the VM cannot be started. To fix this problem, either install the 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' or disable USB 2.0 support in the VM settings.

Note! This error could also mean that an incompatible version of the 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' is installed (VERR_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: E-FAIL (0x80004005)
COmponent: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole
{872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

That Virtualbox installation definitely looks bunged big-time.

Please reboot the host PC so no Virtualbox processes are running. Then uninstall Virtualbox. Your VMs will remain behind.
Reboot the PC again, then reinstall Virtualbox by right-clicking the installer and choosing Run As Administrator, even if your account already has admin privileges.
Let the installer open the main Virtualbox window under Admin privileges. Now check that the Extension Pack shown in File menu, Preferences, Extensions is the exact same version number as the version of Virtualbox you installed. If the EP and VB versions do not match, uninstall the Extension Pack and install the EP that matches the Virtualbox version.
Close out of Virtualbox and wait a minute for the admin privileges to stop.
Then open Virtualbox again and try a VM. If there is an error, please show it. Also, if the error mentions a log, please post the log file, zipped, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
BMWFan

Post by BMWFan »

Actually, after doing a "repair" of the VirtualBox installation in Windows and installing the toolbox again, I can add VMs again to VirtualBox.
I'm hoping it's all working as it should now. If I have further trouble, I'll go through the uninstall/re-install method you suggested @scottgus1.
Thanks.