Problems adding VMDK file to windows server 2003 VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tylerr

Problems adding VMDK file to windows server 2003 VM

Post by tylerr »

Hello all! I have been tasked with migrating an old Windows Server 2003 off of vSphere onto Oracle. I am running into an issue with a specific VMDK file(200GB) and uploading that to the virtual machine itself. When I try to add it as a hard disk it gives me
"Could not get the storage format of the medium 'E:\TEST.VDMK' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)".
A small workaround I had - I created an ISO from that VDMK file but it only registered half of the VDMK file, around 100GB. That is a problem, as I need all the files and programs on the missing half of the VDMK file. Anyways, I have also tried changing the format & size of the VDMK itself through command prompt

Code: Select all

VBoxManage.exe clonehd "E:\TEST.vmdk" "E:\TEST.vdi" --format di
OR

Code: Select all

VBoxManage.exe modifyhd "E:\VB VMs\PKServer2\PKServer2_1-flat - Copy.vmdk" --resize 210000
But it returns this error:
VBoxManage.exe: error: Could not get the storage format of the medium 'E:\TEST.vmdk' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005), component MediumWrap, interface IMedium, callee IUnknown
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "OpenMedium(Bstr(pszFilenameOrUuid).raw(), enmDevType, enmAccessMode, fForceNewUuidOnOpen, pMedium.asOutParam())" at line 191 of file VBoxManageDisk.cpp

Does anyone have any other tips for getting this VDMK file working or for adding it to my VM in Oracle?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Problems adding VMDK file to windows server 2003 VM

Post by scottgus1 »

Check that the VMDK file is not damaged in transit. Looks like it did not copy well.

If you can get a good copy it should attach just fine as a VMDK.
tylerr

Post by tylerr »

Do you have any recommendations on how to check the VMDK file? I am in the process of downloading a new one as well.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

A basic FC file compare will do it, or an sha256 hash. Web-search these.
tylerr

Post by tylerr »

If the original VMDK file is located in vSphere and my current file I downloaded off that was damaged during the transition, is there a method I could use to then compare those two files? Essentially being able to utilize the file within vSphere.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Oops, I didn't notice the vSphere thing. You'll have to web-search that. Maybe vSphere provides a hash? I don't know any other methods.

Does a fresh download of the vSphere file work in the other hypervisor it normally runs under?
tylerr

Post by tylerr »

No worries, I am already on it. Thank you for the tips you've provided!