New VM of Win10 hangs forever on reboot after installation

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
YZ

New VM of Win10 hangs forever on reboot after installation

Post by YZ »

The physical host is Windows 10, and I have been using it running Linux VMs all OK for a long time. Windows VMs are rarely used because the disk usage is big; but it was also OK when tested before.

For some new work, I've just created a new VM of Win10, and installed the operating system with official DVD image from MSDN. When the installation is done, the VM automatically goes into reboot; but it hands forever at the initial screen.

The physical host is a high-end computer with i9 CPU and large amount of RAM; but it has high CPU usage when the VM was hanging on reboot.

I'm attaching the log files and a screenshot, please let me know if need more information. Any hints will be highly appreciated.

Attachments
Logs.zip
(102.28 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
win10-installation-hang-on-boot.png
win10-installation-hang-on-boot.png (16.42 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: New VM of Win10 hangs forever on reboot after installation

Post by BillG »

The green turtle in your screenshot shows that the Windows hypervisor is loaded on the host PC. See this post.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=99390
Bill
YZ

Post by YZ »

BillG wrote:The green turtle in your screenshot shows that the Windows hypervisor is loaded on the host PC. See this post.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=99390
Thank you for your help, and you're right, it turns out to be a compatibility issue because Hyper-V is enabled.

I have to use Hyper-V, and my workaround in VBox is to change the VM's setting to the most basic and minimum level, and particularly set "Paravirtualization Interface" to "Hyper-V".
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

YZ wrote: and particularly set "Paravirtualization Interface" to "Hyper-V".
That will not help in the slightest. The paravirtualization settings affect the guest (i.e. how they see VirtualBox, if at all), this setting has nothing whatever to do with VT-x use on the host, nor the host use of Hyper-v.

VirtualBox 6.1.x does not have an option to run without VT-x/AMD-v, or host Hyper-v. There are no settings to remove this requirement.

In short: if you still have the green turtle then you still have the problem.
YZ

Post by YZ »

mpack wrote:
YZ wrote: and particularly set "Paravirtualization Interface" to "Hyper-V".
That will not help in the slightest. The paravirtualization settings affect the guest (i.e. how they see VirtualBox, if at all), this setting has nothing whatever to do with VT-x use on the host, nor the host use of Hyper-v.

VirtualBox 6.1.x does not have an option to run without VT-x/AMD-v, or host Hyper-v. There are no settings to remove this requirement.

In short: if you still have the green turtle then you still have the problem.
Looks like, you're right. A little more information to follow up:

By making the setting changes above, the Win10 VM started up. But it still crashes regularly once every a couple of hours, with only idle workload. So it still doesn't work. I'm attaching a new screenshot below about the VM got an error on restart after crash; and the log file is also attached.

If possible, could you please point me to a line in the log file for the root cause of the crash? Any hint will be highly appreciated.
Attachments
Logs.zip
The log file about "The VM got an error on restart after crash"
(149.49 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
The VM got an error on restart after crash
The VM got an error on restart after crash
win10-crash.png (28.91 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The Virtualbox environment stays up, but the OS inside keeps BSODing.
A typical vbox.log always starts with VM environment setup, 'hardware' settings, and host info.

The line in the log showing active Hyper-V is:
00:00:03.381340 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:03.439392 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
If your VM uses old-school BIOS boot, the log will show:
Booting from X
where X is Floppy, CD-ROM, or Hard Disk.

If Guest Additions are installed, this line shows:
00:00:10.617849 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version z.y.x
There will be several VMMDev and GUI lines, some other normal stuff as the VM runs.

Your VM BSODS several times, repeating the "Booting from Hard Disk" and this:
00:14:51.128358 GIM: HyperV: Guest indicates a fatal condition! P0=0xa P1=0x1 P2=0x2 P3=0x0 P4=0xfffff801288dd0e4
00:14:51.128397 GIMHv: BugCheck a {1, 2, 0, fffff801288dd0e4}
00:14:51.128398 IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
00:14:51.128398 P1: 0000000000000001 - memory referenced
00:14:51.128398 P2: 0000000000000002 - IRQL
00:14:51.128399 P3: 0000000000000000 - bitfield
00:14:51.128399 b0: 0 - read operation
00:14:51.128399 b3: 0 - execute operation
00:14:51.128399 P4: fffff801288dd0e4 - EIP/RIP
The mention of "GIM: HyperV:" above is not the Virtualbox-killing Hyper-V on the host OS. It's for Paravirtualization, so the installed virtualization-aware OS can communicate with whatever hypervisor is running it so the OS can run more efficiently. If you had a modern Linux OS installed, this would likely read "KVM", for example, despite the Windows host. It is OK for Hyper-V paravirtualization to be enabled, this does not cause trouble for Virtualbox.

The log does not report, as I can see, why the VM OS BSODed, only that it did and the reason the OS reported for the BSOD.

The log does not end, likely meaning the VM was still running when the log was taken. On rare occasions it means Virtualbox just crashed dead, but this does not appear to be the problem here.

If you must use Hyper-V on your host OS, you will probably continue to have trouble running this VM, until the devs fully pin down running Virtualbox on top of Hyper-V. You might need to use Hyper-V VMs to run the OS.