New extension pack?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BCosell

New extension pack?

Post by BCosell »

I'm running VB 6.1.232on win10 with extension pack 6.1.18 and every time I fire up VB it tells me that I'm running extension pack 6.!.18 and there's an update, "would you want to download it ". I click on download, and nothing happens. So I go to the VB download site the only extension pack I could find was... 6.1.18. Is there a newer one [and how do I find it]?

Meta question: is there some way to tell which extension pack is nstalled? It'd be nice if the Help>About told about the extension pack and guest additions versions you have installed.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: New extension pack?

Post by scottgus1 »

When I click on the Extension Pack "All supported platforms" link on the Downloads page: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... ox-extpack

I get the 6.1.22 EP. Do you get something different?
BCosell

Post by BCosell »

I can't figure how I screwed up -- yes, 6.1.22 is the current one Somehow I seemed to have gotten to the wrong download page or something. Ah, I see what I did. I websearched for '\virtualbox extension packs" and *that* page told we

Oracle VM VirtualBox

The latest release is version 6.1.18.

Oracle VM VirtualBox Base Packages - 6.1.18
Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
[...]]

DUH sorry about that and thinks for putting me straight

[for reference, *that* download page is at

https://www.oracle.com/virtualization/t ... loads.html
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I see that, the page you linked is stillborn 6.1.18 for Virtualbox as well.

FWIW .20 introduced some bugs, .22 fixed some but not all. 6.1.18 might be best to stick with for now.
BCosell

Post by BCosell »

Well, I have the problem [that seems to be unfixable] that I cannot see a USB driver from my guest system [also win10]. I hoped that upgrading to extension pack 6.1.22 might have fixed that. BUT... it didn't <sniff> .. still no luck with USB drives NO other problems with .22 yet.

One other thing: installing the extension pack doesn't tell win10 that it needs elevated privileges so it errors-out. and since it is an .exe, there's no "run as administrator". There are three ways to fix this. First, is to log-in as admin, something I *HATE* doing. Too much can go wrong too easily with *every* program now running elevated, Second, is to make a shortcut to "create link in desktop" and that +does* have a run-as-administrator, Third: go to an elevanted command prompt and run the installer from there. [I have an "admin command prompt" on my start menu, so that was easiest and the one I did]. I really have no idea how an executable tells windows that it needs elevated privileges, but I think it is a bit sloppy not doing whatever-it-is when the program needs it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Right-click Virtualbox & run as administrator, will allow the EP to install in the main Virtualbox window. Be sure to close the main window and wait a minute for the admin-privileged VboxSCV service to die off.

Re the USB problem, see USB basics and troubleshooting. If you finish all the steps 1-7 and cannot get your USB device into the guest OS, please start a new topic. Carefully post the outputs of the commands in step 8 as text in

Code: Select all

tags, not screenshots. Zip and post the logs step 8 call for, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
BCosell

Post by BCosell »

Thanks for the info. It is odd -I ran VB as administrator and it has no guest systems. I let it run for a minute or two, checked task manager and didn't see the service there [it'd sure be nice to know if it worked or not]. I then restarted my normal guest system [as a unpriv user] and the USB is still not there, so I'm off to the USB trouble shooting . Thanks for the help/advie
BCosell

Post by BCosell »

New thread posted. I even found the vboxsvc.log :)