unstable Ubuntu 20.10.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Aren Cambre
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

unstable Ubuntu 20.10.

Post by Aren Cambre »

(mod edit: originally posted on "VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V" sticky)
P_G wrote:Virtualbox 6.1.22 r144080 fixed the issue for kernel 5.10. I did not test other kernels.
I updated my VirtualBox to the 6.1.22 release, and still have unstable Ubuntu 20.10. I think that's kernel 5.8. Is the release 6.1.22 the same as r144080?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V

Post by scottgus1 »

Please post some info about your problem.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log and the hardening log next to it, zip them, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Aren Cambre

Re: unstable Ubuntu 20.10.

Post by Aren Cambre »

Done. They are attached.
Attachments
logs.zip
(64.2 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

You have no hardening problems, and Hyper-V is enabled. We'd normally tell folks to disable Hyper-V. But you did post on "VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V", so maybe you want Hyper-V enabled?

Running Virtualbox on Hyper-V is still a work in progress. For the OS you're trying, it's not there yet. To disable Hyper-V at the root, see HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).
Aren Cambre

Post by Aren Cambre »

I do need Hyper-V unfortunately. I need WSL for one product I require. WSL requires Hyper-V.

Does VirtualBox have an official statement on Hyper-V support? Like "here's what we expect to work" and also "here are next steps to improve support"? I feel there is an absence of reliable information on this. Without that, we're getting super mixed messages, ranging from "Hyper-V broke VirtualBox" issues with a successful close or other sites proclaiming that it works unconditionally.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The official message is in the changelog for 6.0.0: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog-6.0#v0
Added support for using Hyper-V as the fallback execution core on Windows host, to avoid inability to run VMs at the price of reduced performance
That said, it has been a hard slog. Microsoft keeps changing the goalposts, Virtualbox has to try to catch up. Some VM OS's worked well, some did not.

Most recently, with 6.1.28, an attempt to tune for Windows 11 Hyper-V broke the setup for Windows 10 Hyper-V.

Forum advice has been to disable Hyper-V if it is not needed.

I should also point out that everything on the forum is unofficial: fellow Virtualbox users volunteering their time and doing their best to interpret circumstances.