Initial screen resolution prevents Elementary OS 6 beta installation

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Quaestor

Initial screen resolution prevents Elementary OS 6 beta installation

Post by Quaestor »

Is it possible to increase the start-up video resolution to something larger than VGA 640x480? The installer screens for Elementary OS version 6 are apparently 800x600 or 1024x768 which puts the configuration control buttons somewhere off the VBox window to the right.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Initial screen resolution prevents Elementary OS 6 beta installation

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox will change the virtual monitor resolution to any size the guest OS asks for (i.e. the guest chooses the size, not VirtualBox). If it doesn't change then the guest OS didn't ask for it.

Please attach images locally: offsite IMG tags are disabled for security reasons.
Quaestor

Post by Quaestor »

I've attached a screenshot.
VB EOS install-2.jpg
VB EOS install-2.jpg (90.11 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
Obviously, the installer did not request a large enough resolution to show the screen.

How do I request a resolution? The view options are grayed out.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That menu :-
  1. Does not do anything permanent, it simply asks the Guest Additions to ask for a new size from inside the guest OS. It is up to the guest OS to implement the request and perhaps preserve the selected GUI desktop size for the future.
  2. Needs the Guest Additions to be installed first - being all grayed out tells me this isn't the case.
  3. Needs the guest OS to be running, so will not apply during boot.
Some people try fiddling with the manager File|Preferences|Display|Max Guest Screen Size option set to Hint, and I believe some even claim success, but it's unclear to me how that would work: a hint just adds that to the list of capabilities of the graphics card, AFAIK the guest still has to request it: just as on a physical PC, the guest OS chooses whatever size it wants from the overall capabilities list of the display and graphics card.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Please post a zipped VBox.log file.
Rui Baptista
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, ...

Post by Rui Baptista »

Hi folks

I can't connect to Elementary OS from a Windows machine (by the way, Purchase becomes Download since we replace Custom with 0). That's because Elementary OS requires a 1024×768 minimum resolution display...

Do you have a simple solution?

Many thanks.
Rui
VBox.zip
(35.62 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Rui Baptista wrote:I can't connect to Elementary OS from a Windows machine
This terminology "connect to X from Y" is used to discuss network connectivity issues. However, you've posted in a topic discussing screen size, and screen size doesn't influence or interfere with network connectivity. Can you please clarify?

Also, Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Rui Baptista

Post by Rui Baptista »

That was fast, scottgus1!

I have the same problem as Quastor, on the same screen. I was installing elementary OS. The log was in the previous post.

Rui
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Sorry about missing your posted log. It doesn't show anything wrong N the VM's operation that I see. I'd suggest turning off 3D acceleration for now, and increase video RAM to max. The VM OS has embedded Guest Additions running, so Quaestor's attempt at trying to use the Video menu might work. If not, then we'll need a guru to look at this. (The times I faced this I tried typing Enter to see if the OK or Continue button would get clicked, or tabbing and Entering until something happened.)
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

I don't see anything unusual in the VBox.log file. Just like with most Linux distributions, the display resolution is changed to 800x600 (at 00:00:17.424124) during boot.
scottgus1 wrote:The times I faced this I tried typing Enter to see if the OK or Continue button would get clicked, or tabbing and Entering until something happened.
On a Linux GUI, there's usually an easier way: You probably know how to move a window if the title bar is visible. If you press and hold the Alt key, you can click anywhere in a window and move it. ;)
Rui Baptista

Post by Rui Baptista »

scottgus1 and fth0, thank you!

I have managed to install elementary OS. All this was done, not press and hold the Alt key, but using the Windows/Super key. I simply have only one hand (the left hand). Do you see how difficult that is?

Rui
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Thanks for reporting back! :)

Regarding the one-handed approach, I can recommend using a notebook with a touchpad. Lenovo ThinkPads have mouse keys between the space bar and the touch pad. Moving a window with one hand is a challenge, but doable. Additionally, some OSes offer sticky modifier key functionalities in their accessibility settings. Heads up!